• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Why is my SUMIF not working?

In my SUMIF I have the criteria as "<>CompanyName".

The first argument (criteria range) is in a pivot table. The second argument, the criteria, is above. The third argument, the sum range, is in the same pivot table as the first argument.

I have another SUMIF equal to the company name type as "CompanyName" and it works fine. It applies to the same pivot table.

So why is it, that the <> criteria isn't working?

The fact that your Summing a text field "CompanyName" means that you can't sum it directly, you have to use a Sum Range

the correct format should be:
=SUMIF(Company Field, "<>Companyname", Sum Field)

eg: =SUMIF(A1:A4,"<>ABC",B1:B4)
This will sum B1:B4 where A1:A4 <> ABC

The fact that your Summing a text field "CompanyName" means that you can't sum it directly, you have to use a Sum Range

the correct format should be:
=SUMIF(Company Field, "<>Companyname", Sum Field)

eg: =SUMIF(A1:A4,"<>ABC",B1:B4)
This will sum B1:B4 where A1:A4 <> ABC

I checked my arguments many times and I do have the sum range as the third argument. The first argument was the array that contained the company names.

Is calculation set to Automatic ?

Can you post a sample file ?

Unfortunately I can't post a sample file because the data is confidential. However, when I tried the SUMIF a few cells above, this time the criteria was equal to the companyName, it worked fine. It's as if the <>companyName threw things off somehow.

Back