• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Using the Frequency function to find unique items between ranges

mike szczesny

How can the frequency function be used for two dimensional ranges and non-contiguous (separated) ranges. I am in interested in non VBA answers.

Thanks,
Mike Szczesny

Is this of any help

When creating your array formula, you need to use Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter when completing the formula. This creates {} brackets around your formula. This is very important to remember. If you do not have {} brackets around your formula, it is NOT being interpretted as an array formula by Excel.

frequency002.gif

Based on the spreadsheet above, the following Excel formula {=FREQUENCY(B2:B12,D2:D5)} into cells E2:E6 using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to complete the formula. This would return a vertical array with 5 values as follows:

The first value in the array would display in cell E2. The result would be 2 (because there are 2 Test Scores <= 59).

The second value in the array would display in cell E3. The result would be 1 (because there is 1 Test Score between 60 and 69).

The third value in the array would display in cell E4. The result would be 2 (because there are 2 Test Scores between 70 and 79).

The fourth value in the array would display in cell E5. The result would be 3 (because there are 3 Test Scores between 80 and 89).

The fifth value in the array would display in cell E6. The result would be 3 (because there are 3 Test Scores > 89). This catches all values greater than the last value in the interval.

Hi bobhc,

Thanks for your response. I am sorry that I was not able to more clearly state my problem. I am not really interested with intervals with the frequency function. I would be more concerned with finding the unique item in a multi-demensional range such as A1: J5.

I know how to find the sum and each unique items in a single column range. For capturing unique items, I have been using =index(range,small(if(frequency(if(range<>"",match(range,range,0)),row(range)-row(range 1st cell)+1),row(range)-(row(range 1st cell),rows($r$c:rc))).
For the sum I would use =sum(if(frequen(..........,1)

How would go about doing the same with range a1:J5? This is thrust of my question. I hope this to illustrate what I am asking about.

Mike S.

Is this of any help

When creating your array formula, you need to use Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter when completing the formula. This creates {} brackets around your formula. This is very important to remember. If you do not have {} brackets around your formula, it is NOT being interpretted as an array formula by Excel.

frequency002.gif

Based on the spreadsheet above, the following Excel formula {=FREQUENCY(B2:B12,D2:D5)} into cells E2:E6 using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to complete the formula. This would return a vertical array with 5 values as follows:

The first value in the array would display in cell E2. The result would be 2 (because there are 2 Test Scores <= 59).

The second value in the array would display in cell E3. The result would be 1 (because there is 1 Test Score between 60 and 69).

The third value in the array would display in cell E4. The result would be 2 (because there are 2 Test Scores between 70 and 79).

The fourth value in the array would display in cell E5. The result would be 3 (because there are 3 Test Scores between 80 and 89).

The fifth value in the array would display in cell E6. The result would be 3 (because there are 3 Test Scores > 89). This catches all values greater than the last value in the interval.

Hi Narayan,

Yes. This would be very helpful for me. Perhaps you can help me further. I have a formula that list items from a non-single row (column) range. However, how would I use it to find only unique items? In other words, I am not sure how I would incorporate the frequency( and transpose parts into this formula. Assume the range has duplicate items. This formula lists the items column, then next column, etc. Here is the formula

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$E$5,INT(SMALL(IF($A$1:$E$5<>"",(ROW($A$1:$E$5)-ROW($A$1)+1)*10^9+COLUMN($A$1:$E$5)+COLUMN($A$1)+1),ROWS($A$8:A8))/10^9),MOD(SMALL(IF($A$1:$E$5<>"",(ROW($A$1:$E$5)-ROW($A$1)+1)*10^9+COLUMN($A$1:$E$5)-COLUMN($A$1)+1),ROWS($A$8:A8)),10^9)),"")

I am having a difficult time in understanding how I would need to insert the frequency and transpose portions. Would this be possible?

Thanks,
Mike S.

Hi Mike ,

I doubt that I will be able to help you out ; if you can upload a sample workbook with input data , and the output that you are looking for , it might be better.

Narayan

@mike szczesny

Perhaps you might consider informing members of this forum that you have already posted this question on at least one other forum?

I understand that, in doing so, you improve your chances of receiving an answer to your query. However, I'm sure you can also appreciate that "cross-posting" can be a little frustrating to some: not everyone takes well to the idea of dedicating (sometimes considerable) time and effort towards a solution, only to find that one has already been provided elsewhere.

Regards

Hi Mike ,

I doubt that I will be able to help you out ; if you can upload a sample workbook with input data , and the output that you are looking for , it might be better.

Narayan
Hi Narayan,

Here is my example. I am having some difficulting adapting this to select only for unique items
@mike szczesny

Perhaps you might consider informing members of this forum that you have already posted this question on at least one other forum?

I understand that, in doing so, you improve your chances of receiving an answer to your query. However, I'm sure you can also appreciate that "cross-posting" can be a little frustrating to some: not everyone takes well to the idea of dedicating (sometimes considerable) time and effort towards a solution, only to find that one has already been provided elsewhere.

Regards
To XOR LX:

To be honest, I wouldn't have know that this would have been an issue. Thanks for letting me know about this in the future.

Hi Mike ,

Narayan

Hi Naryan,

I am difficulty adapting this formula to select unique items. I cannot figure out how to the frequency and transpose functions in this formula. I am not even sure if it is even feasible for such a formula. Here is that sample data. Please refer to the attached.

Thanks,
Mike S.

Attachments

• example.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 2
Back