• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

sumproduct with multiple strings

desert rat

Hi All

trying to use a SUMPRODUCT to to total the amount of times "never" or "quit" appears in a column. Only problem is "quit" is a partial string so it can include "quit >5years" or "quit <5years"

Note - i am using =SUBTOTAL(103,B2) in A2 so when i filter by different sites it only totals/displays those results.

This is what i am using to total the amount of time "never" appears

=SUMPRODUCT(--(F2:F236="never"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

this formula works for "never" but i can't workout out how to modify it to inlude the search for "quit"

Any ideas????

Cheers

Hi ,

Have you tried this :

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(F2:F236,4)="quit"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

Narayan

Thanks for that! - it works but it displays ######## in the cell but when i hover over the cell with the mouse it brings up 67 which is correct.

is there a way to get the number to display in the cell.....???

Thansk again

Hi ,

I think it's just a matter of formatting ; click on the left-aligned button ( Alignment dialog ) , and you should see the cell value properly.

Narayan

Thanks that did the trick :)

Just out of curiosity i don;t suppose there's a way to combine the 2 SUMPRODUCT statements in to 1....??

=SUMPRODUCT(--(F2:F236="never"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

and

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(F2:F236,4)="quit"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

Cheers

Hi ,

Since these are mutually exclusive criteria , you can just add the two formulae together in one cell :

=SUMPRODUCT(--(F2:F236="never"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0))) +

SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(F2:F236,4)="quit"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

or

=SUMPRODUCT(--((F2:F236="never")+(LEFT(F2:F236,4)="quit"))*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2),0)))

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

I am new to this forum and to be honest i am very much impressed on the way you guys address the queries. You guys are awesome and the best !!!

Coming to the point, Can you help me on understanding the subtotal part of the formula (SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(F2,ROW(F2:F236)-ROW(F2)) ?

Can we use something like this =SUM(COUNTIF(F:F,{"never","quit*"})) ?

Thanks

Back