• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Stop/start buttons to count number of days elapsed.

Oochiekoochie

Hi

Newbie here so first of all hello!

I'm struggling with an idea i have of having 2 buttons in the one cell, one called start the other stop, which when pressed by the user shows a whole number in the adjacent cell/column. A date driven task.
The idea is to count the number of days elapsed on a project, but which can be stopped periodically when a segment of work is complete and restarted when the next segment begins.
Also need it to hold the number when workbook is closed and reopened.
Hope that makes sense!

cheers

Hi ,

What you want can certainly be done ; if it is done in a sample file , can you then transfer the code to your working file and make it work ?

If not , please upload your working file , and indicate where the output should be put in.

Narayan

Hi Narayan

Thanks for responding so quickly. Have attached part of the worksheet that i'd like the magic to take place.
Just two columns, one with the buttons and the next showing the count of days. so when it's started it's from that exact point in time then should continue the count as stop and then start are hit.

bw
oochie :)

Hi ,

You have shown one set of START and STOP buttons in row 2 ; will you be having similar sets in other rows ? Is each set supposed to time independently ?

Can you give your complete requirements in one go ?

Narayan

Hi

I'd be copying the stop/start and number of days cells down into new rows beneath as i add new records. so each stop/start button would be individual to that row, with each set being independent, yes.

Sorry not explained very well.

Hi ,

I can't imagine a lot of timers running all the time asynchronously. For all you know , it might not be possible.

However , since your frequency is in days , is it OK if a routine runs each time you open the workbook , and calculates how many days have elapsed since the timer was started ?

Can you say how many rows you will have with this system of counting ?

Narayan

Hi

Yeah, if it runs each time the workbook is opened then perfect, so long as it has the ability to be started then stopped then started/stopped etc..

As for number of rows, unsure. It's a new workbook i've created for a new project that will involve an unknown number of records, which will be added to as time goes on.

thanks

Back