• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Link Excel sheets to Powerpoint for slideshow

jmendenhall22

Hello,

I have an excel workbook with multiple sheets that I want to make a PowerPoint to display on a monitor in a dayroom that is hooked to a computor. I need each sheet to fit on one slide. The sheets are updated on a shift by shift basis and need this to be active on slideshow also. I would like the entire sheet content to show as seen in excel (data, pictures and charts or combination of all three). I have tried linking but when I update in excel nothing updates in PowerPoint and I have to make a workbook for each sheet, also when I link only the first sheet shows. The other problem with my linking is that all the empty lines show in the slide. I would like the lines to show as they appear in the excel sheet only. I know if I double click then the workbook opens but this is not what I need. What I am doing with the workbook is trying to make a slideshow that displays the information slide by slide and then loops back to the start and repeats 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I need to be able to update the information in the workbook and have it update the PowerPoint as well. For the workbook I have a master sheet that populates the cells in all other sheets. I have put this sheet (last or it can go first) because it is the only one that can not be displayed on the PowerPoint (privacy issues). If need be I can make a separate workbook for this sheet and link the info for all the other sheets (if needed). I have been told this can be done but have had no success yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Good day jmendenhall22

Welcome to Chandoo

Copy the spread sheet, all or part, open PowerPoint and inset a blank slide (slide with no placement holders) from the menu bar or ribbon choose paste special and from there choose the Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object and make sure to click the Paste Link radio button option. Done, size as required, go back to the spread sheet and alter the data and then view in PowerPoint to check the link is working.

Do this for as many part or full sheets you need……but remember the more information and larger the spread sheet area the smaller the display in PowerPoint.

Good day to you bobhc,

Thank you for your response. I tried it on a quick workbook I have and it worked so far. Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I am new to this advanced features of excell and powerpoint so I will for sure be having many questions as I wade through my project. Thank you again.

John

Good day jmendenhall22

Quote "I am new to this advanced features of excell and powerpoint"....We all are :)

Pleased it is working

Hello

I have a followup with this topic. Like I said it works but I have multiple sheets in my workbook and I need each sheet to fit on a slide. When I change sheets in excell then the sheets change on the slide in Powerpoint as well. Don't know if I forgot something when I pasted. I do know that when I was pasting I did not have the past link radio button it was automatic. I am using office for MAC 2011 version 14 at home. Like I said it worked but I can't do the same for the rest of the slides as the first one changes to whatever sheet i change to. I need the sheet to stay the same but if the data changes then I need it to change per sheet/slide.

Any help like always grateful. Thank you

John

jmendenhall22

The PowerPoint slides are changing because you are changing the work sheet, if you change the data or sheet size then it will change the slide view. As I said in the previous post the more you try to fit to the slide the smaller the slide display will be.

Have you re-sized to work sheet on the slide its self? You are using Excel for the Mac, there are a few differences in the way the different OS and Excel 14 work but the copy/paste special should be the same as Windows OS and Excel. When you copy the data just copy the cell area of the work sheet, leave out the scroll bars,status bar, menus ect.ect they are not needed in the slide and just take up valuable space.

bobhc,

Thanks, I found at work I have Office 7 on XP 2002 and not much seems to be the same. When I copy just area I need on slide and try to paste I do not get the paste special. I use insert object, excell file and link, it pastes in slide and updates when I change file. I insert object into 2nd slide and it changes slide 1 to the same as slide 2. I do not see a way to link by sheet just create from file option.When I double click on the object it opens excell file as it was when I pasted and will not update from original file (looks like it makes a copy inside Powerpoint). I am totally lost on why this does this. Thank you for your help this far. If I can do anything else to help with figuring this out let me know. Would it help to send file or is this allowed. I have a hard time just finding my posts on this site the way it is know.

John

Good day jmendenhall22

I have not had much more time too look at this but will do soon.

If you click on your nick (jmendenhall22) name it will take you to your profile page where all you posts are listed. Click on one and it will take you to that post.

If you have or if not, open a Dropbox account (free) you can upload your file to your public folder, copy the puplic link, (by highlighting the file and from the drop down list choose Dropbox/copy public link). There are other sites but they ether want you to register or wait while you read the addvertisments, Dropbox needs none of this. When you have copied the public link just paste it in to your post.

bobhs, I tried to get a dropbox account but they wanted me to sign up for 9.99 a month. I can not do it at work as the site gives a virus warning error, probably having to do with the security settings. Thank you for your help.I have a gmail account, but don't know if we are supposed to leave them here or not. Let me know if you want to proceed. Thanks again for your help thus far.

John

Hi John ,

Dropbox does have a free account facility ; however , I would like to say that I have found SpeedyShare the easiest way to upload your file.

Just enter :

http://speedy.sh/

in your browser and go. That's all there is to it.

Narayan

Back