• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Limitations of filtering

pedhed

I am using excel to filter a lot of work orders.
Are there limitations to the number of rows you can work with?
The current sheet I have runs to approx 12,000 rows and I am using conditional formatting to highlight unique values.

Regards

Peter

No, There is no limit

You can filter as much data as you have memory to handle it

Just be careful as Excel will slow down depending on the complexity of your formulas linked to the data

There are techniques for dealing with hundreds of thousands of rows, but they are too advanced to discuss here, but they involve the use of Conjunctive Truth Tables...

If you start getting beyond 0.5 Million and towards 1 Million Rows (Excel has a limit of 1048576 rows) you may want to consider leaving the data in a Database like Access or SQL

If you get real serious Power Pivot can handles 20-30 Millions rows quite easy

Thanks for the reply Hui.
I had edited my sheet to leave two columns of data and tried to use conditional formatting to highlight non duplicate cells. What I am finding is that a certain number of cells seem to show the conditional formatting works but the further down (past 10,000 rows) the formatting doesn't seem to work

BOBHC - I went into CF via the following..........is this what you meant?

Capture.JPG home >conditional formatting > manage rules

I couldn't see anything specific to the data range.

I think my problem lays with my laptop overheating as it slows down when I use a filter.

I had another attempt at conditional formatting and the formatting appeared to work on the worksheet that had more than 10,000 rows.

When you open up the "Manage Rules" tab, make sure in the top little window you select the down arrow and select "This worksheet" highlight a rule and then select edit to see the ranges of the rule.

formatting appeared to work
...the word appeared does not compute...:p

Back