• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

In MS excel 2010 how to delete unused Shapes?

Steve Brown

In my .xlsm file I have a few surplus shapes that I temporarily used to run trial macros. Now I need to delete them, and find no way to delete them. Please share how if you know. Thanks.

Hi Steve ,

I assume these shapes are in the worksheets.

In any worksheet , on the Home tab in the ribbon , you will see the Find & Select dropdown arrow ; clicking on this brings up a Pick List , where you can click on Selection Pane.

Click on Show All to ensure all shapes are visible , and then from the displayed objects , select the object you wish to delete. When you click on any object , it will be highlighted ; press the DEL key to delete it.

Narayan

Hi Steve ,

I assume these shapes are in the worksheets.

In any worksheet , on the Home tab in the ribbon , you will see the Find & Select dropdown arrow ; clicking on this brings up a Pick List , where you can click on Selection Pane.

Click on Show All to ensure all shapes are visible , and then from the displayed objects , select the object you wish to delete. When you click on any object , it will be highlighted ; press the DEL key to delete it.

Narayan
--
With the above method I could hide or unhide any chosen shapes, but I could not delete any shape. I guess there is no way to delete shapes once made in excel.

Hi Steve ,

Of course there is a way ; anything that you have created in an Excel workbook can be destroyed or deleted.

When you see a shape highlighted , pressing the DEL key deletes that shape.

Probably if you can upload your file , the real problem will be clear.

Narayan

I am attaching the xlsm file that includes tabs "Table 4," and "Table 5" that have Shapes to run macros.

I want to delete (and I cannot delete) Shapes in red area near cell AU7 in Table 4, and near cell C27 in Table 5.

Selecting a cell does not provide option to delete it.
If you can delete a Shape, please share how you did it.

Thanks.
jai sri Krishna!

Attachments

• Doc Automation.xlsm
    123.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Steve ,

First , some background.

Select tab Table 4.

Go to the Immediate window in your Visual Basic Editor , and type out the following command :

?ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count

You should see 2 , which tells you that there are altogether just 2 shapes in the Table 4 tab.

Repeat after making Table 5 the active sheet ; you should see 8.

The 2 shapes in Table 4 are : Button 1 , Button 2.

The 8 shapes in Table 5 are : Button 16 , Button 22 , Button 24 , Button 25 , Button 26 , Button 30 , Button 31 and Button 32.

If you download the attached file , you can see the renamed buttons ; on the Home tab , click on the section named Find & Select. On the dropdown list , click on Selection Pane.

The right side of your screen will now show all the buttons I have listed ; click on Button 16 in the list , and you should see the shape highlighted ; press the DEL key to delete this shape. You can use this same procedure to delete any particular shape.

Narayan

Attachments

• Doc Automation.xlsm
    100.8 KB · Views: 2
Back