• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to populate various cells with data from a table based on selection of a drop down list

elsanchez

Hello,

I am new here and I'm hoping one or some of you might be able to help me with this challenging task I have been given.

I work for a manufacturing company and have been charged with creating a sheet to provide accurate costings for a job but also create a list of parts in that job based on what items are selected to be used. I will try to give an example below.

1. On sheet 1 I use drop down lists to select certain items.
2. Once selected, a cell to the right populates a price.
3. On another sheet, a part number, description and quantity are populated.
4. As I progress through sheet 1, it adds more costs and also populates the parts list so I know what items I need to do the job.
5. On another sheet is a massive table with all the parts, SKU, description, quantity needed, quantity in stock and so on.

I believe I need to use LOOKUP, VLOOKUP and SUMIFS to complete this but it is a little over my head.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Hi ,

What is the starting point ?

What is the first formula you are looking for , and which cell should it go into , and what output should the formula return , and what are the inputs it should take to derive the output ?

Narayan

I guess it would be K15 on the equipment tab. But the text that is selected wouldn't appear in the database tab as the displayed text is more user friendly than exact words to lookup in the database to return the results to other cells.

Hi ,

Nothing is clear. I am sorry , but unless there is a clearer and more comprehensive description of what is required , I cannot help.

K15 on the tab named Equipment Selection has a Data Validation dropdown.

B2 on the same tab contains a Model number.

The tab named Product Database contains a column labelled Supplier Product number.

Amidst all this different terminology , I am at a total loss. Sorry.

Narayan

Back