• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to find combination of cells that add to a set number

abhi2611

Hi,

Is there are way to find a combination of cells that add to a set number. I tried solver but, it only take 100 variables. I have more than 1000 records.

Eg.
I have the values in column A

My target number is 3

I want to be able to find the combination of cell that add up to 3

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!!

Are you wanting to find all combinations, or just one combination that will work?
We could start by assuming that all the 0's can be included. For such a low target number, we can list the possible combinations (3+0, 2+1, 1+1+1) and do some COUNTIF type formula to see which one would work.

I don't think that's possible to calculate on standard computers. With 1000 numbers, assuming that you can take a combination of either 1, 2, 3, ...999, or 1000 different numbers, there are over 1x10^301 combinations! :eek:

If we limit it to just looking at 1, 2, or 3 numbers in a combination, that's still 166,667,500 combinations. If we look at just 1 or 2 number combinations, it's 500,500 combinations (which might be doable).

Hi ,

My first question is are you giving data that is real-life data , or is it data that is at least representative data , or is it just made-up data which has no resemblance to your actual data ?

Secondly , what will the variation in the target value be ? For instance , you have given a value of 3 ; will this always be between the minimum and maximum of your data , or can it be any value whatsoever ?

Along the same lines , what will the variation in the data itself be ?

Lastly , will all the numbers be whole numbers or can there be decimal numbers in your data ?

Narayan

Back