• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Grouping Ungrouping

TonyNZ

Hi

I want to create 3 separate Groups i.e.
for Columns A to D, Columns E to H, Columns I to L

Following steps wont create 3 Groups rather extends Grouping of Columns A to L

Highlight Columns A to D and Create Group

Then, I highlight Columns E to H and create Group; rather than creating another Group, the Group created for Columns A to D gets extended. and so on.

There is one solution by inserting blank column between Columns A to D, E being blank column then Create Group of columns F to I, and so on. This way, i am able to create 2 separate Groups. But this is not what I want. Why? Because Pivot Tables wont work with blank column with no label header. Solution could be to create dummy label header. But this is not the ideal solution.

I have no idea whether this is possible or not.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
T

Hi

I want to create 3 separate Groups i.e.
for Columns A to D, Columns E to H, Columns I to L

Following steps wont create 3 Groups rather extends Grouping of Columns A to L

Highlight Columns A to D and Create Group

Then, I highlight Columns E to H and create Group; rather than creating another Group, the Group created for Columns A to D gets extended. and so on.

There is one solution by inserting blank column between Columns A to D, E being blank column then Create Group of columns F to I, and so on. This way, i am able to create 2 separate Groups. But this is not what I want. Why? Because Pivot Tables wont work with blank column with no label header. Solution could be to create dummy label header. But this is not the ideal solution.

I have no idea whether this is possible or not.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
T
Hi,

AFAIK Excel will join adjacent groups into a single group and there's no way around this. Can you leave a blank column between the groups?

Hi Mike

"Can you leave a blank column between the groups" I am afraid not. Reason, because I want to create pivot tables from the data. Blank column with no label wont let me create Pivot Tables unless I give dummy names label to the blank columns.

Guess, there is no work around this.

cheers
T

Back