• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional Formatting Help- Condition based on value in separate table

salmonchild

Afternoon followers of Chandooism,

I'm stumped again on solving a problem, even 6 cups of tea in a two hour period has not helped me.

I have a table of data that I would like to apply conditional formatting to. I would like, when people enter a location (4 digit code), for the whole row to be formatted (red text/background, whatever) if there is any entry on a separate table with the same location code.

i.e.

Location is entered to sheet 1 E2
Excel then checks sheet 2 A:A and if there is one or more match in any of the rows, applies the conditional formatting.

Is this possible? I have been tooling around trying multiple IF functions but am getting nowhere.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Oli

Hi, salmonchild!
Apply this CF formula to the table (including row 1):
=SI.ERROR(COINCIDIR($A1;Sheeet2!$A:$A;0);0)>0 -----> in english:=IFERROR(MATCH($A1,Sheeet2!$A:$A,0),0)>0
Regards!

EDITED

PS: Where it says $A1 it should say $E1.

Hi ,

The problem is you cannot use references to other worksheets in CF formulae ; the solution is to use named ranges.

Create a named range , say Sheet2_ColA , and in the Refers To box , put in =Sheet2!$A:$A

Now , on sheet1 , with the cursor in E2 , enter the following CF formula :

=MATCH($E2,Sheet2_ColA,0)>0

and select a fill colour of your choice.

If E2 contains data for which there exists a match somewhere in column A in Sheet2 , the cell E2 will be coloured.

Narayan

Chaps- thank you very much.

Since posting I put in a workaround by having a helper column

=IF(COUNTIF(Talent!$A:$A,'Retail Master'!$E2)>1,"Y","N") and then based the CF on that. I am running it down 6000 rows so I don't think it will slow the calculation time of the sheet by too much.

I am going to step away from it now as clearly my brain power is waning, then have a look at your solutions tomorrow.

Cheers

Oli

Hi, salmonchild!
To speed up a bit (but I don't think that much more if just for 6000 rows), adjust column A range from $A:$A to $A1:$A6000. Or define a dynamic named range.
Regards!

Hi, salmonchild!
Glad you solved it. Thanks for your feedback and welcome back whenever needed or wanted.
Regards!
PS: Manual old edition not in use any more, new automatic feature not available yet.

Back