• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Command button/macro security issue? [SOLVED]

Gamma48

Solved, solution below...

I am at a loss. My spreadsheet has been working just fine, with no problems whatsoever. I have a few command buttons that hide/show portions of a report as well as export to a PDF. I also have the code that allows a combo box to be activated on certain cells that needed special formatting not provided by a standard list box with data validation.

A couple days ago, I noticed different compile errors and a runtime error 438 on my computer, but the other computers on the network weren't having an issue with the macros/command buttons/combo box. After checking security settings among other things, I figured it was a corrupt office install so I reinstalled. Yesterday, two more computers starting getting the same errors, but two of the computers could still run the macros with no issue. Our main computer can still run the macros, and I've noticed it was ironically one of the two that hadn't been updated. I leave it on manual update. Microsoft recently released an Office 2007 for Excel security update kb2984942 that I installed two days ago.

From Microsoft's website: "A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Excel 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability."

On to the issue, code will crash when trying to reference a command button or combo box. It's almost like the buttons aren't seen by the code. The only way I can describe it that the buttons have been "flattened", similar to layers in Photoshop. The buttons are visible, but are not able to clicked. I can select them in the Developer mode, but am not able to access any of the properties, only properties of the worksheet. So even in Developer mode, it's as if they don't exist. Anytime the code will reference a button or the combo box, they can't be accessed, and the code crashes.

Hopefully someone may be able to help. Thank you for any suggestions that you have.

Last edited:
Admins, this thread can be marked SOLVED.

Here is the solution I found on another forum. Wasn't sure I could post a link to another forum, so here is a summary.

I tried adding a new ActiveX button, but got an error that the object could not be added. This lead to me to a thread that said it was a flaw with the recent Office updates. Search for msforms.exd (not .exe) in AppData\Local\Temp\ and delete it. This will fix the issues.

Back