• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

COLUMNS function in VLOOKUP

Narend

why we use column function with +1 or +2 in vlookup formula.

can not we retrieve the same data from not applying column function?

narend

In VLOOKUP table the first column is Lookup Column, so we actually want data from 2 column onwards. So, COLUMNS($B4:B4) give result as 1 adding 1 to it will give 2 and if copy right side we will get 3,4, and so on.

That is the reason to add 1 to it.

You can also use like this:
=VLOOKUP($B16,$B$4:$D$13,COLUMNS($B4:C4),0)
This will generate 2, 3 and so on.

EDIT: I had edited the title of the thread as this is COLUMNS function and not COLUMN function. Both are different.

Regards,

In VLOOKUP table the first column is Lookup Column, so we actually want data from 2 column onwards. So, COLUMNS($B4:B4) give result as 1 adding 1 to it will give 2 and if copy right side we will get 3,4, and so on.

That is the reason to add 1 to it.

You can also use like this:
=VLOOKUP($B16,$B$4:$D$13,COLUMNS($B4:C4),0)
This will generate 2, 3 and so on.

EDIT: I had edited the title of the thread as this is COLUMNS function and not COLUMN function. Both are different.

Regards,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

but can not we get the data from the usual proceedure or this is another proceedure to retrive the data. (i.e Columns way)

narend

You can get by hard coding the values as 2,3,4 but when you will drag the formula you will have to edit the formula manually every time. This is avoided by this trick.

Regards,

You can get by hard coding the values as 2,3,4 but when you will drag the formula you will have to edit the formula manually every time. This is avoided by this trick.

Regards,

Thanks and now it is clear to me.

Thanks again for this kind support.

Narend

Back