• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Can I copy and paste a countif formula with a $ involved

Hi Larry ,

Given the formula you have posted , you can enter it in the following different ways :

=COUNTIF(link!$C$2:$C$101,1)

=COUNTIF(link!$C$2:$C101,1)

=COUNTIF(link!$C$2:C$101,1)

=COUNTIF(link!$C2:C101,1)

The above are 4 combinations possible with one particular way of referencing the start point ; since there are 4 different ways of referencing the start point , it means there are 16 possible ways you can enter this formula !

How you should be entering it depends on what you want to do.

Using the $ sign before any of the elements means that element will not change when you copy or drag.

To take an example , the most rigid way of entering it is the first highlighted in red , where nothing will change whether you drag / copy down or across , since the $ sign precedes all the elements.

The most changeable would be the following :

=COUNTIF(link!C2:C101,1)

where the $ sign has not been used at all ; if you enter this formula in one cell , and copy it down to the cell below , it will change to :

=COUNTIF(link!C3:C102,1)

If you copy it across to the next column , it will change to :

=COUNTIF(link!D2:D101,1)

Thus depending on which element(s) you do not want should change , and depending on whether you will be copying downwards , across , or both , you need to insert the $ sign in the proper places.

Narayan

Hi Narayan, I need to use the =COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,1). I probably should have worded what I needed different perhaps. I want to be able to put lets say put this formula in cell A:1 =COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,1) and drag it down to A:1000 so that the last digit is the only thing that will change. so it would look like this

=COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,1)
=COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,2)
=COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,3)
=COUNTIF(link!$C2:$C101,4)

and so on

can this be done?

Hi Larry ,

Which means that you do not want either the C2 or the C101 to change as you drag down ?

If that is so , the first change you should make is use the $ sign before the row component , as in :

=COUNTIF(link!C$2:C$101,1)

This ensures that as you drag / copy this formula downwards , irrespective of where you may have entered it to start with , the formula will not change.

Now , you need to decide whether after entering this formula in any particular cell , you will be copying it across to any other column , and if so would you want it to change or remain the same.

If you want it to change as follows :

=COUNTIF(link!D$2:D$101,1)

=COUNTIF(link!E$2:E$101,1)

then it is OK the way it has been shown above in blue , otherwise you will need to insert the $ sign before the column component also.

However , apart from all this , if you want the last parameter to change as you copy it downwards , instead of using 1 , 2 , 3 ,... use the ROW($A1) construct , as in :

=COUNTIF(link!C$2:C$101,ROW($A1))

When you copy this downwards , the $A1 will become $A2 , $A3 , $A4 ,... and the ROW function will convert it to 2 , 3 , 4 ,...

Narayan

Correct I not want either the C2 or the C101 to change as I drag it down

Let me clarify, I want the end digit to change as I drag

Hi Larry ,

Which means that you do not want either the C2 or the C101 to change as you drag down ?

If that is so , the first change you should make is use the $ sign before the row component , as in :

This ensures that as you drag / copy this formula downwards , irrespective of where you may have entered it to start with , the formula will not change.

Now , you need to decide whether after entering this formula in any particular cell , you will be copying it across to any other column , and if so would you want it to change or remain the same.

If you want it to change as follows :

=COUNTIF(link!D$2:D$101,1)

=COUNTIF(link!E$2:E$101,1)

then it is OK the way it has been shown above in blue , otherwise you will need to insert the $ sign before the column component also.

However , apart from all this , if you want the last parameter to change as you copy it downwards , instead of using 1 , 2 , 3 ,... use the ROW($A1) construct , as in :

When you copy this downwards , the $A1 will become $A2 , $A3 , $A4 ,... and the ROW function will convert it to 2 , 3 , 4 ,...

Narayan

Last edited:
Hi Larry ,

Re-quoted from my earlier post :

Narayan

Back