• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Basic syntax

k1s

Hi. I'm new to power query, so please be gentle!

I've got a simple query to remove text from all column names:

#"Transform Column Names" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns1",(columnName as text) as text => Text.Clean(Text.Replace(columnName, "Band", "")))

How can I alter the query to remove multiple different words (not necessary adjacent).

(I tried:

#"Transform Column Names" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns1",(columnName as text) as text => Text.Clean(Text.Replace(columnName, {{"Band", ""},{"Next Word", ""}})))

...but that didn't work)

Can't make any sense of the MS reference page:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt674878.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Upload sample of your raw data along with your query within same workbook. Also show how should resulting table look like (created manually if needed).

Hello again Chihiro, I'm not in a position to do that right now.

This line in the query works for finding and removing the word "Band" from any column headings the "Band" appears in:
Code:
#"Transform Column Names" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns1",(columnName as text) as text => Text.Clean(Text.Replace(columnName, "Band", "")))

I want to alter the line to find and remove "Band" and/or another string, e.g. "Next Word"

I assumed it is something to do with curly brackets around pairs of the string to find and the string to replace, but I can't find any documented reference that explains the syntax.

I've tried:
{"1st_find", "1st_replacement"},{"2nd_find"}, "2nd_replacement"}
{{"1st_find", "1st_replacement"},{"2nd_find"}, "2nd_replacement"}},
{"1st_find", "1st_replacement", "2nd_find", "2nd_replacement"},
but none of these curly bracket permutations has worked for me.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me the correct syntax for finding and replacing several strings instead of just one.

@k1s I haven't got PQ on this comp (I will test later when I get home). But I think you can use this syntax.

#"Transform Column Names" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns1",(columnName as text) as text => Text.Clean(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(columnName, "Band", ""),"New Word","")))

Just add as many nested Text.Replaces as you want. You may be able to use a custom function to take input mapping range (what to find and what to replace in a 2 column range / table) and apply Text.Replace iteratively. I am not sure how to do it as I have never done it.

All the best.

Reactions: k1s
Back