• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

What are Robots?

Search engines like Google need to constantly index and re-index site pages to keep their search results up-to-date, so they send out bots to do this. I often see MSN bots indexing my website, for example. Nothing sinister.

An Internet bot, also known as web robot, WWW robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering (web crawler), in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. More than half of all web traffic is made up of bots.

They can be used to investigate sites and collect personal data such as email address, that is why you are advised not to publish you email address on Chandoo.

Search engines like Google need to constantly index and re-index site pages to keep their search results up-to-date, so they send out bots to do this. I often see MSN bots indexing my website, for example. Nothing sinister.
Thanks to Ali and Bob for your answers. My real question was what are they doing on Chandoo?! Now I understand they index and re-index site pages to keep their search results up-to-date. Thanks.

An Internet bot, also known as web robot, WWW robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering (web crawler), in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. More than half of all web traffic is made up of bots.

They can be used to investigate sites and collect personal data such as email address, that is why you are advised not to publish you email address on Chandoo.
Thanks to Ali and Bob for your answers. My real question was what are they doing on Chandoo?! Now I understand they index and re-index site pages to keep their search results up-to-date. Thanks.

You're welcome, and apologies to any grammar purists for my unintentionally split infinitive; what I meant to type was "to index and re-index site pages constantly"! A bit of a "boldly go" moment ... ;)

My initial thought was "what are these robots actually doing" invading Chandoo and taking up valuable bandwidth?! :)

Additionally, Chandoo must be aware of them (as depicted by my initial picture) and doesn't seem to be doing much about it.

Last edited:
Back