• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

VBA code obfuscation

Lolo

Hello,

We all know that vba password is a weak VBA code protection.
There is a technic you probably know called code obfuscation, which enable to noise the code.
- remove comments
- remove format
- change readable var/function names by noisy names aka 0100101010101
- optionally encrypt strings
- etc...

In some cases it is useful to hide code to others, if you don't want share your code...
So in VBA this technic is useful. So I have searched for an addin for this. I have found some modules, but either with a high cost, either not available anymore, or too "light".

But I have found a "free" addin called invisiblebasic : http://sourceforge.net/projects/invisiblebasic/
If the version available is "basic", and not supported anymore, I have noticed that a user has really improved it with very intersting functionalities (including string encryption ! ), and it is very efficient, see the comments/review to know more :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/invisiblebasic/reviews?source=navbar

So I want to share it with you, I'm sure it could interest some persons... ;)

Laurent

Hi, Lolo!

Thanks for sharing it with the community, surely many people would find it interesting.

Personally in the past I've found, downloaded, installed, tried, tested, and then uninstalled and at last deleted, a few of this DOC (deliberately obfuscating code) software or Add-ins.

I don't remember if this is one of those which I used, always for a while, so maybe someone who'd be willing to give it a serious try could then tell us his experience.

The main issue resides that when dealing with important no. of files and with more than one version of them, I felt it was very onerous to handle manually all that dual files, since no free and efficient code repository tool was available. In the cases where the manual DOC techniques that you described upwards were not enough, always there was the handy alternative of writing a module in VB (not VBA) with Visual Studio .NET, generating a .dll and then referencing it in the VBA project.

And this indeed is not bullet proof as there a lot of .NET decompilers and code reversers, many of them quite good.

Regards!

Back