• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

VBA code for preventing blank / duplicate cells in table

Benson112

Hi All,

I have a bit of a detailed request for help, so i will try to explain it as best i can.

I have a table whereby users must add a new line to the table each time they complete a project. Within this line they must enter their project reference, and then the names of people responsible for the 5 tasks detailed in the headings of the table.

When entering a new line i have the following set of criteria:

1. Column G, H, I, J and K must be filled in (baring in mind that this only applies if a project code has been entered in column C).

2. Column H and I cannot be the same

3. If G and H are the same, then K must be different.

You can see how i have this set up currently in the sample below. But this does not prevent people from leaving cells blank to over-ride the validation checks.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18993939/SOD%20Sample.xls

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Benson ,

A few doubts :

1. There is no drop-down in column F ; I assume that this will not figure in any checks / validation rules.

2. The 5 stages for which checks / data validation may be required are : Design , Build , Peer Review , Final Check and Deployment. You have already included CF for two of these stages viz. Peer Review and Deployment. One rule is that the same person cannot be responsible for Build and Peer Review.

3. The rule for Deployment seeks to validate the three stages Design , Build and Deployment ; let us assume we have 3 people A , B and C , available for these 3 stages. The following combinations are possible :

[pre]
Code:
1.  Design - A ; Build - A ; Deployment - A    '  All 3 stages by the same person
2.             - A ;         - A ;                   - B    '  Design and Build by the same person , Deployment by a different person
3.             - A ;         - B ;                   - A    '  Design and Deployment by the same person , Build by a different person
4.             - A ;         - B ;                   - B    '  Build and Deployment by the same person , Design by a different person
5.             - A ;         - B ;                   - C    '  All 3 stages by different people
[/pre]
Can you specify as to which of the above 5 combinations is ( are ) possible ?

4. Is there no validation check for the Final Check stage ?

Narayan

Back