• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Tracing GetPivotData Calls to Pivot Tables and Work Sheets

Jabba1963

Hi All,

Sadly got myself in a bit of a mess... I am creating a dashboard and in the process I have created numerous sheets calling a finite number of Pivot Tables. The Pivot Tables are very large and I think that in my excitement I have created at least a couple of Pivot Tables that are no longer referenced so hence for performance/memory reasons I need to remove them. The problem is that I am not sure which ones they are ?!!

Is there an easy way of tracing calls to GetPivotData function within a workbook and ascertaining the name of the PivotTables referenced on each and every worksheet ?

Initially I would like to loop through the workbook and report references to Pivot Tables for each Sheet and then perhaps thereafter list the cell references making the calls.

Also as a by-the-by - is there any truth in what I read somewhere, that copying a PivotTable and then changing its attributes uses less resources than simply creating a new PivotTable from scratch each time ? Something to do with shared cache perhaps ?

I am relatively new to VBA and loving it...

Any assistance gratefully received :)

How many pivot tables are we talking about?

The second argument to getpivotdata should be a cell specific to the pivot table. I think without any augmentation by you, it's the upper left cell in the table. A little vba should help:

you can extract the formula from the cell with range.formula. Treat that as a string to get that 'home cell'. Look up the home cells and see which ones aren't being used.

Thanks for posting a reply - and my apologies but I got sidetracked and hence the late response to your reply.

And yes - much as I envisaged thanks.

Back