• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

The Boss wants to know the names of the top 10 SalesReps

Hello Friends...here's something i want2 share with you.

Assume i have 100 rows of data - a simple data set of SalesReps in column A and $Sales in column B.

The Boss wants2 know the names of the SalesReps who made it to the "top ten" in terms of $Sales value.

To find the name of the SalesRep who figured among the top ten -

drag the following formula down to TEN rows.

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(LARGE(B:B,ROW(A1)),B:B))

Hi, James Perry!

Thanks for sharing this tip. And maybe you want to give a look at this from Chandoo a couple of days ago (once that he works... well, in fact he videorecorded it, there were another guys who actually worked... I was about to add "as usual" but I repented):

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/sum-of-top-3-records-based-on-filtered-criteria#post-103195

Regards!

Hi James Perry!

Thanks for sharing the tip... :)

In addition.. Just want to share something about MATCH ..

The default value for MATCH TYPE argument is 1.

To keep your BOSS happy for long time.. add a extra "0" for perfect match..

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(LARGE(B:B,ROW(A1)),B:B),0)

Regards!

Deb

Hello All!
My first post, but I just wanted to say this is just the formula I needed! Thanks! I had been using a different approach using a helper column with rank(), then doing a vlookup on the rankings, but this cuts out the need for extra steps nicely!

Perhaps I am using the formula incorrectly, but I did notice that it doesn't seem to account for more than one instance of the same value (should two sales-people have the exact same sales!), instead listing the 1st instance twice? I worked around this by adding a rand() to the sales figures, ensuring they were all unique (with only negligible discrepancies) before applying the above formula, but perhaps someone has a tidier way to account for this?

Also, I think the 0 for 'exact match' needs to be within both sets of parentheses, i.e. =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(LARGE(B:B,ROW(A1)),B:B,0))

Back