• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Test Yourself

This self-assessment has the goal to check whether you have the right prerequisites to attend the Optimizing DAX Workshop in a proficient way.
So really, I cannot compete at that level for sure. I've learned from books only and the real life experience is close to nothing. Then Chihiro sets the bar high/low (depending what your point of view is).
Still being a good sport: I'll take that damn' test!

Last edited:
Hi ,

Same here ; I will consider it some achievement if I can answer even a couple of questions correctly , knowing everything in those two questions.

At present , I do not have this knowledge about the combo of these functions :

CALCULATE , FILTER , VALUES

Narayan

The result being: "You have a basic knowledge of DAX, we strongly suggest to improve your DAX skills before attending the Optimizing DAX Workshop". I had 4 out of 10. My excuse is, I'm stuck with v1 of PP and in the quiz there were some question about functions I never heard of.

Hi ,

Same here ; I will consider it some achievement if I can answer even a couple of questions correctly , knowing everything in those two questions.

At present , I do not have this knowledge about the combo of these functions :

CALCULATE , FILTER , VALUES

Narayan
They do mess around with your brain, don't they. I had to read the questions very carefully to understand them. Let alone answer them correctly.

Hi ,

That may be true , but I doubt that there is only one way to get a correct result in PP , just as it is in Excel.

What matters is full knowledge of how DAX functions work , and the evaluation contexts.

Once this barrier is breached , I think you will be well on your way to becoming a DAX expert.

Narayan

That is true, though experts would say there is probably only 1 optimal way. And indeed evaluation context is everything. Would not dare to expect becoming a true DAX expert one day. Where they start combining, nesting filter functions... I get lost easily.

Reviewing the answers... I should have got 6 of them right with what I know in theory. Silly mistakes, careless reading of presented formulas. For the others I really was clueless or made a genuine mistake.
Had to peak once in Excel though... Completely forgot what values does. Still got the answer wrong btw.:rolleyes:

Hi ,

Wish there were more such exercises ; the ability to read a formula , visualize its working and understand the result that it will give is the hallmark of an expert.

Much before we can develop complex or even complicated DAX formulae , we should be able to read them and understand how they work.

Narayan

..the ability to read a formula , visualize its working and understand the result that it will give is the hallmark of an expert...
Imagine having @bosco_yip's formula wit applied to DAX. You would scare the s.. out of the Italians, I'd say! One may dream...
What you say it already very true for Excel formulas for that matter, but for DAX, since it misses the "evaluation" possibilities like in Excel, it is even more so important. DAX measurements are "virtual" by their conceptual nature. If you do not get that, then... Trouble, trouble, more trouble... Like in that test, trouble was where I was in.

Back