• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

SUMPRODUCT Wrong Data Type?

Raesu

Hello,

I'm using sumproduct to summarize some data from a larget table. The formula works great for everything EXCEPT my May data?!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(PlanRegion=$B17)*--(PlanMetric=$C17)*--(PlanMktProd={"A","B","C","D"})*Plan!H$2:H$141)

The column H is returning a #VALUE where everything else works as it should in other months. I've tried multiplying the column by 1 (to make sure its formatted as number), selected all the data and formatted as general. Copy and paste formats onto H...NOTHING works. Any ideas please?

Thanks.

My guess is that somewhere there is an text value. What type of data is in col H? Dates, qty, cost, etc? If dates, a common thing I've seen is someone entering 2/30/12 (invalid date), or 2/07/20012 (too large). Other things that could go wrong would be that the other regions are not the same size.

Also, just a tip about SUMPRODUCT. You need to either use the double minus, OR multiply the criteria. You don't need to do both.

=SUMPRODUCT((PlanRegion=$B17)*(PlanMetric=$C17)*(PlanMktProd={"A","B","C","D"})*Plan!H$2:H$141)

or

=SUMPRODUCT(--(PlanRegion=$B17),--(PlanMetric=$C17),--(PlanMktProd={"A","B","C","D"}),Plan!H$2:H$141)

Hi Raesu,

It think it will work with a comma just before Plan!H$2:H$141.

Regards,

FASEEH

Fixed...there was a blank in one of the cells for that month (as opposed to a 0). Sorry I didn't catch that before posting.

Sumproduct continues to baffle me...my formula works perfectly. Also works perfectly if I remove the -- but still multiply.

Time to read the formula forensic and advanced article you wrote Hui for the 100th time...and still only understand a fraction of it!

Raesu,

Sorry for not being clearer in my earlier post. There was nothing wrong with the original formula, it just was extra work. Go with whatever makes sense to you. =)

Back