• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Slicers usage in Excel Web format

TonyNZ

Hi,
(1) In the attached file, there are 3 sheets. Master, Slicers, Table. All three have hyperlinks to navigate to Master, and vice-versa. Slicers Tab has 2 slicers too. I save this file in the Web format (published entire-workbook). When I open this in the Web browser, the links and the slicers dont work. I am a novice, is there any simple way to make this work?
(2) The attached file is protected (no password). In this mode, Slicers do work, however, the user is still able to move, resize and even delete the Slicer. Is there any way the user is not able to delete the Slicers when in Protected mode?
The data contained therein is dummy / sample.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards. Tony

Attachments

• Slicers Test Web Page.xlsx
    24.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi Chihiro. Thanks for this info. However, I have just now found the simple solution, I think, and this will work for me.
Scenario: I will have about 50 users, spread across the country. File will be saved, and password protected, in one central location. Every authorized user will only have "read-only' access to this folder. Thereby meaning, no user will have any right to save, delete, add, modify, alter etc. any file within this folder.
As said, my file will require a password to modify. If User doesn't have a password, it will be prompted to open as "Read only". In the read-only version, user will still be able to use all functionalities of the slicer. Yes, user will be able to delete/alter/re-size the Slicers (or any other activity per-se), but, user will not be able to save any / all the changes made. It will be given a choice to save the file, anew, but wont be able to because user wont have authorization to save on the source folder.
This may look cumbersome but I think this will serve my purpose.
File is attached for your reference: password to modify is 8761. Tabs Slicer and Table are protected, but not Master tab. Workbook is not Protected (from the Review tab).
I password protected the file: Save as; Tools (next to the Save button when prompted to save the file); General Options; Password to modify; Enter password; re-confirm password; Save.
What do you think? Please let me know.
Regards
Tony

Attachments

• Slicers Test Web Page PASSWORDED.xlsx
    27.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you don't need to refresh pivottable and/or data connection, then that method should work fine.

AFAIK, if refresh of data is required, Read-only will not allow redrawing of pivot table.

Yes, I agree. In this particular scenario, data is to be refreshed only once each month. Why: I have a very large data-set, about 40000 rows and 50+ columns. I sort and retrieve the top 1000 according to the parameters and then dump in the file as Values. make sense?
I did try post #6 too. Yes the slicer cannot be moved or deleted using Del button but can be deleted using Ctrl + X.
Thanks again for your confirmation.
One more thing: will you be able to suggest or guide me to find solution to (1) in my original question, about Web format. If any new and what I need to learn to be able to do this?
Regards
Tony

Not sure on that one. I rarely use Excel to publish online reports.

I used to use AMCharts, NextReports etc. But these days I mostly use PowerBI.

Back