• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Rolling Document Advice for a Beginner

meg

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my data to correspond with the data I have validated. My spread sheet is divided into 8 quarters and the data below is a mix of text and numbers.

I want to have it all correspond when I make my selection. For example: When I select quarter 3 I would like the data listed in the quarter 3 column to also move. I'm not sure where to begin. I have been reading so many tips that now I am totally confused. Help! Thanks :)

Can you give more info, perhaps better description of current layout and what you are trying to achieve? How do you "select quarter 3"? Where is the data supposed to be moved to? Are you looking up data, entering data, or manipulating something else?

This is how my document is set up. The dates along the top have the drop down all ready... So, if I use the drop down in B1 and choose Jan-Mar 10, I want the entire column to change, not just the date. I do not want column A to change. The idea is to be able to have the most recent quarter date and data in column B and be able to see the other consecutive quarters for comparison and action planning. I hope this explanation is a little better as I am not too familiar with the technical verbiage. (This is the first time I am attempting to do this.)THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

A B C D

1 Project Oct-Dec 09 Jan-Mar 10 Apr-Jun 10

2 Diabetes Management Program

Weight doc within

visits: >=90% of time 70.69% 100.00% 100.00%

3 Need input Gerri educated staff

from Gerri at a staff meeting

re: actions re: documentation.

Hi Meg

Please explain what you have in the different columns.

If I understand your data you already have the data relating to each quarter in different columns, so I do not understand why you need to change the column.

I assume that you want to see the latest data in column B, while it may actualy be in another column. For this you can used the index formula. You tell the formula where all the data is and which particular data you want. For instance if you have 4 columns of data from column C to F and you want to see the data in column F in column B, you would use in column B and say row 5 =INDEX($C2:$F2,4)

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I tried the formula and it would not change when I entered the formula and used my Data validation (drop down) to change the data selection...

Hi Meg,

please gibe a clearer explanation of what you are trying to do or send the file to me with explanations at kchiba@optusnet.com.au

Back