• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Resolving Tied scores

clumpa

I am new to Excel and a task I undertook was to use a spreadsheet to score a week long golf tour for 12 players. Scoring is done by points won per hole, i.e. the highest score wins as opposed to a low score being the strokes taken. Ties are resolved by points scored on the last 9 holes, still tied then last 6, then last 3 and finally last hole. I cannot see how to construct a "composite" value(s) that would break the tied overall scores. Hope this makes sense!!

I would add columns for all the totals you use: one with the sum of all the holes, one with the last 9, etc.

Then just sort the data as needed.

Or you could try something like 10000*sum of all holes + 1000*sum of last 9 + 100*sum of last 6 + sum of last 3 + last hole. You will need to adjust the number if your scores are above ten

Thanks for the ideas. I think that I have "resolved" the problem using SUMPRODUCT.

Col A - total score, Col B - last 9 holes. If col A scores are equal then the higher score in col B determines which Total score RANKs higher, the approach means that more sub totals can be included in the formula,e.g. last 6 holes then last 3

=RANK(A1,A1:A10)+SUMPRODUCT(--(A1=A1:A10),(B1<B1:B10)).

Back