• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Question Bank in Excel that can pull out set number of random questions per category to MSWord

PaulBM

Hi Everyone!

First of all, I apologize if this is a redundant question. I went to the search bar but did not find what I was looking for.

So basically, I am trying to figure out how to make a MSWord questionnaire(for a multiple-choice exam), based on a question bank in Excel.

For each course, there will be an excel sheet with columns for topics, questions, a correct answer, three distractors and some other details only meant for records. A user can pick the topics to be used for the exam and the number of questions per topic, that will be exported to the word file. Once data is exported to word, formatting can be done manually.

If there is an existing post with the same concern, if anyone can share the link it would be highly appreciated. I know some coding is involved and I am still a total noob at coding.

Thanks in advance.

I think you'd have a better chance if you move this thread to the VBA section. It seems to involve some UI and a template automation.
Can't do that, but can do something in Excel without any coding.

It is working on different sheets, but those can be different files.

Attachments

• Sample Randomizer Exam.xlsx
    25 KB · Views: 10
PaulBM
Why do You would like to do tests in Word?
Could You do 'all' with Excel?

Hi vletm, thanks for the question. Where I am working is a new college and the facility for simultaneously testing at least 150 students using 150 desktops have not been included in the budget. I have been pushing for the purchase of new units but it won't be coming for at least six months (if I am lucky). So, we are still stuck at the age of old school paper examination. For the past one and a half year since we started operations, we have been doing paper examinations which consumes a lot of man-hours to prepare not to mention the cost of paper and ink.

However, the students have been issued android tablets each as part of the learning package. If the complete testing is done in Excel, will it work correctly in the mobile version of excel? If you could sent me a sample file, I can try and check on the mobile version of excel.

It is also possible to convert the questionnaire to pdf and sent by email to all the students via their tablets.

PaulBM
I have to recheck that my version ...
but it needs Excel which can use macros too!
Your 'Excel' is in this case like working with 'Paper and pencil'.
It is version, which makes students to answer questions until they have answered ... find the correct result.
... and the 'exam' result depends 'how short way they have found the correct answer'.
I'll check and send it for You.
Basic idea is...
You have 'a question-bank'.
You create test-files.
Students fills/uses own files.
You get results anytime.

( ... without checking any students test manually. That time could use for something else )

Last edited:
Back