• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pricechecker

chriscorpion786

Hi all there ,

can you help with some VBA code for the following:

In column A i have some numbers between 1 and 12 which represents units, and column B has the price.

In column C-N which starts from January i need to have the result of units * price but the cells should be filled in such a manner that if unit in column A is 5 then the result should be filled from Jan - May for 5 columns and so on.

I have done it in Excel but i need a VBA version for this.

Kindly help..

Mustafa

How's this?

[pre]
Code:
Sub FillPrice()
Dim StartRow As Integer
Dim EndRow As Integer

'What row does data start on?
StartRow = 2

'Calculates the last row
EndRow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For i = StartRow To EndRow
With Cells(i, "A")
Range(Cells(i, "C"), .Offset(0, 1 + .Value)).Value = _
.Value * .Offset(0, 1).Value
End With
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
[/pre]

Hi Luke,

It worked...thanks so much...if you dont mind can you explain this code:

Range(Cells(i, "C"), .Offset(0, 1 + .Value)).Value = _

im a beginner, so i need to understand and practise this myself......

Thanks so much....why does VBA seem so difficult to learn.........

Mustafa

Sure thing.

The previous line called out a With statement. This is used so that you don't have to keep writing out long repetitive lines of coding, which in turn helps things run a little faster. That said, remember that ever part that starts with just a "." is actually modifying the With object. In this case, it's the cell in col A of whichever row we're looking at (determined by variable i).

So, let's look at left side of equation:

Range(Cells(i, "C"), .Offset(0, 1 + .Value)).Value

We want to define some range, and set the Value for it. Range can have 2 arguments, defining the top-left and bottom-right cells. The top left cell is going to be in col C, of row i. That's what this part of the code says:

Cells(i, "C")

The bottom-right cell will be partly determined by the value in col A. Assume col A has a value of 5. Remembering that we need to skip col B (which has price), we need to "offset" 5+1 columns from col A and 0 rows (we're staying in the same row). That's what this part says:

.Offset(0, 1 + .Value)

Now, onto the right hand side of equation, which is easier.

This says to take the value of the cell in col A, and multiply by the value of the cell 1 column to the right of col A (aka, col B). Alternatively, we could write:

.Value * .Cells(i,"B").Value

Back