• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Power Query - prevoius value

Arsene83

Hi, I'm new in PQ and I'm trying to do something simple (in excel).
I need to add new column name: 'type' and I need to use the previous value from that column.

I attached the xls file with example.
How can I do this in PQ?

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 8
In Power Query, you cannot reference previous row of the same column.

Does your actual data have aggr_level followed by number? If so, it's simple extraction logic. If not, you will need bit more logic.

Assuming latter. I'd normally do it using custom M function. But that can be bit hard to debug. So left it as simple transformation steps.

• Add Index column to the table.
  • Add custom column with following.
Code:
= if [Account] = null then Text.Start(Text.From(#"Changed Type"[Account]{[Index]-1}),1) else [Account]
  • Select the custom column and right click. Fill down.
  • Select the custom column and Group by. Set aggregation level to All Rows (i.e. No aggregation)
  • Add another custom column with following.
Code:
= if Value.Is([Custom], type text) then Table.AddIndexColumn([Group], "type",1) else Table.AddIndexColumn([Group], "type",0)
  • Remove all but the above column (Custom.1).
  • Expand the column and select following columns: [Account], [desc], and [type]
  • Change data type(s) and load to data model or worksheet.
See sample attached.

Attachments

• Test_Chihiro.xlsx
    20.3 KB · Views: 3
Also:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    DuplicatedColumn = Table.DuplicateColumn(Source, "Account", "Account - Copy"),
    FilledDown = Table.FillDown(DuplicatedColumn,{"Account - Copy"}),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(FilledDown, {"Account - Copy"}, {{"grp", each _, type table [Account=number, desc=text]}},GroupKind.Local),
    AddedCustom = Table.AddColumn(GroupedRows, "fnStuff", each Table.AddIndexColumn([grp], "Type", 0, 1)),
    ExpandedfnStuff = Table.ExpandTableColumn(AddedCustom, "fnStuff", {"Account", "desc", "Type"}, {"Account", "desc", "Type"}),
    RemovedOtherColumns = Table.SelectColumns(ExpandedfnStuff,{"Account", "desc", "Type"})
in
    RemovedOtherColumns

Back