• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Power Pivot 2016 - Data Model Corruption - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

a_j_k

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Power Pivot, however I've been using excel since the mid 90s and so know a lot of the older advanced features. I also have experience with relational databases, so the relationship function of Power Pivot is what interests me most.

I'm just working on my first live Power Pivot report for actual consumption, and recently (at random times without any specific trigger) the Data Model gets corrupted such that every time I try to refresh the table the error comes up "We cannot load the data model. Object reference not set to an instance of an object" The only way to clear the error is to delete all relationships and power pivot tables and start over. In fact, in one instance even that could not be done because Excel won't allow deletion of the workbook connections and the relationships - so the only solution was to copy the data to a brand new workbook.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to "reset" the data model in some way?

So far it's working Ok and I am very careful to save each and every time before making changes, but sometimes forget and having a better recovery plan would be nice.

Another solution would be some way to enable an actual save in the background every minute (not an autosave, which is unreliable). I have the file saved to a dropbox with unlimited history, so each time there is a save it creates a new version which can be easily restored. The problem is remembering to press save every single time, which I often forget.

Thanks

Hi,

This is driving me insane, and I'm not even using Powerpivot with this workbook. Need to distribute files to users who don't have access to powerpivot add-in, so I'm just using Excel 2016 pivot tables drawing from two related worksheets in same workbook. I can't help but think that Excel 2013 and 2016 just unstable with the data models and MS doesn't seem to be able or willing to fix issue. Thank you for posting the link to create incremental backups! We have a cloud sync to Box that 'should' capture every save, but the upload to sync takes 1-2 minutes and I often have made another save in that time, so all versions not saving. I'm trying to retrain myself to wait for upload to finish but is painful to have to sit and do nothing for a couple of minutes while the hamster runs in the squeaky wheel to upload file to Box. I have been trying to observe edit/save process to see what kind of changes trigger the dreaded "object reference not set...." message, but it is frustratingly random. I actually never had this error when working in powerpivot with data model built from Access database tables. Who knew the simpler model would be buggier?

Back