• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

PLEASE HELP ...Conditional Formatting Issue

MikeExcel

Here is the formula

TODAY()>DATE(2019,6,19)

I want the contents of the cell to change colour

I know it's true

Conditional formatting does not work....why???

Please help

Excel 2003

Thank you for the reply
Pretty simple and it does come back true when I put formula in a cell but the value does not change colour

I'm using Excel 2003

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Why did you upload PDF?

Like I suspected, there is a misunderstanding how CF works. Yes, when the formula returns TRUE the CF is applied. But in this case there is no link between the formula used and the value in the cell. So... The CF is evaluated as FALSE.

Attachments

• CF_Example.xlsx
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for the reply
I can put DAY(TODAY()) > 20 in CF
and the format in the cell will change and it has nothing to do with the value

Look at your example... you have quotation marks wrapping your formula, thus the formula is seen as text by CF. *
I'm stunned that's actually working. Don't see the advantage of it and I do find it completely illogic. If you apply this to a whole range, the whole range is formatted. Why then not simply format? The point of CF is to check a condition of values in cells/ranges, and then apply a dedicated format.

* They were put there when confirming the CF. It's kind of a hint you are doing something that is not intended. But you do have a point it's working.

The program puts the quotes in.
I want the cells to change colour as dates pass as a visual to being paid without input

I figured it would be simple

DAY(TODAY()) > 20
works but the cells will change colour again when the the next month hits Day 1 to 19

I appreciate your help
It worked once but then it doesn't anymore so I figured it was a CF issue

You said
I want the cells to change colour as dates pass as a visual to being paid without input
Therefore I expected to see some dates in your data. Is this sample file really representative for your case? Made an educated guess and added a date header above the values.

Attachments

• Copy of CF-test.xls
    30 KB · Views: 1
You said
Therefore I expected to see some dates in your data. Is this sample file really representative for your case? Made an educated guess and added a date header above the values.

That is representative of my file so why
DAY(TODAY()) >20 works should allow the other to work because it's a format not a value

That is representative of my file so why
DAY(TODAY()) >20 works should allow the other to work because it's a format not a value
Thanks for the file but then the change will only occur after the month is over not by specific date.
I think this is not worth your time and I do appreciate your help...it was just weird that it worked once and then it didn't.

Thanks again

Just remove those quotes, and it will work again. (see #6)
The thing I'm saying is, that I fail to understand the logic in what you want to accomplish.
You evaluate a hard coded date versus today in your condition. For the format to change, you'd need to change the date in your formula. Why then not simply format? Or refer to a cell containing a reference date to evaluate?

What version of Excel are you on? .xls suggests a rather old one. I ask because I get a compatibility warning when saving my version of the CF with this extension. So it might be you don't see what I think I sent you.

Attachments

• Copy of CF-test.xls
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for your help with this
I tried it today by retyping with the = sign and it worked as it should.
It did that in the past so I will see if it works tomorrow

I want to do it so when I look at a spread sheet I can see the change without doing anything.
Yes, it's a bit of code at the beginning but copy paste 12 times with a month change is pretty quick to have the visual colour

Back