• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Password cracker for Lotus 123

Busymanjohn

Hi guys, i received a file from a colleague which is in Lotus 123 format ( I know ).... he has asked me to replicate the file in Excel ( welcome to the 21st Century )but the file is password protected and he does not know the password, as he didn't set it up. Is there a good password cracker for Lotus 123 ( free preferably )that anyone can recommend?

Dude, we don't know anything about software from the 70's!!!

I don't know of any cracking software. But if I were in the this situation, I'd try editing it in a bad ass text editor or something. See what you can see.

Hey Dan ,,,,, yeah , I wouldn't say 70's software ,, more like from the Triassic period. The only thing I need to look at in this file is the raw data , which is hidden in a second tab that is password protected. Why someone still has a file that's millions of years old I will never know ,,, lol.

Files built with older software often times don't have real sophisticated password protection.

If the text editor doesn't offer any clues and all you need to get is the data, maybe try using some different methods to extract the data.

Try CSVed, excel (going at the file as a data source), access.

If you can't bust the password you can certainly try to go around it.

Managed to get it with a test password cracker which provides 3 letters of the password ,,, luckily the password had only 4 letters :). Let's hope no-one else has a 123 file for conversion. Thanks

Back