• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

INDEX MATCH | Multiple Results From 12 Different Tables

Saradomin

Hello everyone.

I am having some trouble figuring out how to pull multiple results from multiple tables using INDEX MATCH.

I have 12 tables (one for each month), and I'm trying to make an annual table that pulls specific data (based on a single criterion) from the 12 monthly tables.

After Googling some similar problems, I've managed to get a working formula to pull data from two tables, but I can't figure out how to pull data from all 12 tables.

The formula I have so far is:
{=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($B$2:$B$6,$B$15,0)),MATCH(ROW($B$2:$B$6),ROW($B$2:$B$6)),""),ROWS($A$1:A1))),INDEX($D$2:$D$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($E$2:$E$6,$B$15,0)),MATCH(ROW($E$2:$E$6),ROW($E$2:$E$6)),""),ROWS($A$1:A1)-COUNTIF($B$2:$B$6,$B$15)))),"")}

And here is a sample image of what I'm working with:

Excel file is attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated; thanks!

Attachments

• INDEX MATCH - Multiple Results From Multiple Tables.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 6
This formula solution worked for Excel 219 or above.

In B17, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,A$2:B$6,D$2:E$6,G$2:H$6,J$2:K$6,M$2:N$6,P$2:Q$6,A$9:B$13,D$9:E$13,G$9:H$13,J$9:K$13,M$9:N$13,P$9:Q$13)&"</b></a>","//b[following::*[1]='"&B$15&"']["&ROW(A1)&"]"),"")

Attachments

• Multiple Tables Lookup.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 7
Hello everyone.

I am having some trouble figuring out how to pull multiple results from multiple tables using INDEX MATCH.

I have 12 tables (one for each month), and I'm trying to make an annual table that pulls specific data (based on a single criterion) from the 12 monthly tables.

After Googling some similar problems, I've managed to get a working formula to pull data from two tables, but I can't figure out how to pull data from all 12 tables.

The formula I have so far is:
{=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($B$2:$B$6,$B$15,0)),MATCH(ROW($B$2:$B$6),ROW($B$2:$B$6)),""),ROWS($A$1:A1))),INDEX($D$2:$D$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($E$2:$E$6,$B$15,0)),MATCH(ROW($E$2:$E$6),ROW($E$2:$E$6)),""),ROWS($A$1:A1)-COUNTIF($B$2:$B$6,$B$15)))),"")}

And here is a sample image of what I'm working with:

View attachment 77713

Excel file is attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated; thanks!

I have cross-posted on the following websites:
- mrexcel.com/board/threads/index-match-multiple-results-from-12-different-tables.1195297
- excelforum.com/excel-formulas-and-functions/1370585-index-match-multiple-results-from-12-different-tables.html
- excelguru.ca/forums/showthread.php?11449-INDEX-MATCH-Multiple-Results-From-12-Different-Tables

This formula solution worked for Excel 219 or above.

In B17, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,A$2:B$6,D$2:E$6,G$2:H$6,J$2:K$6,M$2:N$6,P$2:Q$6,A$9:B$13,D$9:E$13,G$9:H$13,J$9:K$13,M$9:N$13,P$9:Q$13)&"</b></a>","//b[following::*[1]='"&B$15&"']["&ROW(A1)&"]"),"")

View attachment 77717

This is brilliant, thank you!

Would this method work if each of the 12 tables were on their own sheet, opposed to all being located on a single sheet?

I tried to modify the formula you gave to work across multiple sheets and, well, it didn't go very well :p

I have attached a file as an example of what I mean, thanks!

Attachments

• INDEX MATCH - Multiple Results From Multiple Tables 2.xlsx
    21.2 KB · Views: 9
Try,

1] Create a data validation "dropdown list" by :

Select A1, click Data >> Data Validation >>
  • Allow : List
  • Source : $K$2:$K$13
2] In "Result" B5, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT($A$1&"!$A:$A"),AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($C$2:$C$100)/(INDIRECT($A$1&"!$C$2:$C$100")=B$2),ROW(A1))),"")

3] Click A1 "dropdown list", change the "Sheet name" and check your results

Attachments

• Multiple Sheets Table Lookup.xlsx
    22.2 KB · Views: 14
Try,

1] Create a data validation "dropdown list" by :

Select A1, click Data >> Data Validation >>
  • Allow : List
  • Source : $K$2:$K$13
2] In "Result" B5, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT($A$1&"!$A:$A"),AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($C$2:$C$100)/(INDIRECT($A$1&"!$C$2:$C$100")=B$2),ROW(A1))),"")

3] Click A1 "dropdown list", change the "Sheet name" and check your results

View attachment 77721

Hey, thanks again for your assistance! :DD

This does work, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear or didn't explain properly, but this isn't quite what I'm trying to achieve.

I need the results to display the unpaid clients for all 12 months in a single annual table, without having to manually choose a month with a drop-down list.

So I need the results to display:
Client 3
Client 5
Client 6
Client 19
Client 21
Client 30
Client 33
Client 47
Client 54
Client 60

What are your thoughts?

And thanks again so much!

Try,

In "Result" sheet B5, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,January:December!A$2:C$100)&"</b></a>","//b[following::*[2]='"&B$2&"']["&ROW(A1)&"]"),"")

Attachments

• Multiple Sheets Table Lookup (2).xlsx
    22.2 KB · Views: 9
Try,

In "Result" sheet B5, formula copied down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,January:December!A$2:C$100)&"</b></a>","//b[following::*[2]='"&B$2&"']["&ROW(A1)&"]"),"")

View attachment 77726
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

This is fantastic, thank you so much! :)

As you may have guessed, I haven't provided the actual spreadsheet as it contains sensitive information.

I figured I would just provide a sample spreadsheet with simple tables, and then edit the formulas to work with the larger tables I have.

But I've drastically overestimated my ability and ... I can't get it working at all :(

I will attach a file with the tables that I am actually working with (minus the real data), and I was hoping you could take a look for me.

I really appreciate your continued help with all of this, especially after I keep foolishly changing the scope of my problem!

Attachments

• INDEX MATCH - 12 Tables into 1 Table.xlsx
    119.3 KB · Views: 12
Back