• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

IBM i Database Connector using Power BI

ExcelSur

Happy Mardi Gras

I am doing some research online regarding IMB i Database. This is the first time I came across this database name. So the software application uses this database called IBM i and I want to extract data using Microsoft Power BI.

Any suggestions on how I can do this. Please help and Thanks for all your help

I assume it's IBM Db2 for i. IBM i itself isn't a db, but an operating system.

PowerBI desktop has native integration to Db2. Get Data->Database->IBM Db2 database.

You can use native query language or just bring in table as is.

IBM Db2 is also one of the source that supports direct query mode.

Last edited:
I assume it's IBM Db2 for i. IBM i itself isn't a db, but an operating system.

PowerBI desktop has native integration to Db2. Get Data->Database->IBM Db2 database.

You can use native query language or just bring in table as is.

IBM Db2 is also one of the source that supports direct query mode.

Chihiro,
Thanks for your input. I recently did an interview with a company and they wanted someone to extract their data from IBM i and they told me that they couldnt find a way to extract the data from IBM i. I dont know much in SQL but I found this book (SQL for IBM i: A Database Modernization Guide by Rafael Victoria Pereira.

Thanks for your input again.

You've got the wrong book for your purpose I'd wager.

Unless you want to develop programs for IBM i (using DB2), using RPG & COBOL... or using other programming languages to manipulate/structure the Db (such as .NET using Entity Framework/Dapper etc)... basically if you are not a developer or a Db administrator, this isn't the book for you.

You've got the wrong book for your purpose I'd wager.

Unless you want to develop programs for IBM i (using DB2), using RPG & COBOL... or using other programming languages to manipulate/structure the Db (such as .NET using Entity Framework/Dapper etc)... basically if you are not a developer or a Db administrator, this isn't the book for you.

When I spoke to the IT Manager who developed the software (Medical Billing) he said that I should look for a connect that would extract data from IBM i. He said its not IBM DB2.

Anyways I didnt get the job. I went to do an accounting job interview and ended up talking about database and power bi. I know a litttle bit of MS Power BI.

Thanks for your help again

Back