• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How To Remove Password on .XLA Files

Hashim

Hey Guys,

There seems to be a password on a .xla file which I'm trying to use but excel wont let me view it unless I have the password. I'm not even really sure how to edit .xla files without having the password? Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks Luke. I actually tried that and it didnt work. The .xla file behaves like an addon to excel and so when I open it, it isnt a physical file...rather it just "installs" into excel. But because it doesnt think I'm registered to run it, it doesnt let me run it. So I was going to get rid of that registration bit and run it. However I cant even seem to open it. Sorry if that is jumbled and doesnt make sense.

How do I make this addin show up on my ribbon? I added it but the only way to run it is to open visual basic in developer ribbon.

May need to turn on that ribbon. Right-click on ribbon, go to "Customize the ribbon". Make sure this option is turned on
upload_2015-12-15_9-23-39.png

Beyond that, you might need to know more about what the add-in is. Some add-in's don't create buttons on the toolbar. It depends on how it was created/setup.

And yes, the XLA extension is for Excel add-ins. It will open and behave different than a regular file.

Awesome thanks. Was able to remove passwords and add it in as a ribbon. It seems the macro refers to private .dll files in order to run, which I don't have. I have zero C++ skills but now I will try and hunt down these files and continue troubleshooting. Do you know why someone would store the macro in a .dll file?

Not specifically. I'm guessing there's some function or library or method that the add-in is needing. Can you talk to the original author?

Microsoft Excel password recovery program helps you to remove and recover Excel file password. It is the best solution for unlocking Excel password with all versions Excel file including xlsx, xls, xlsb, xla, xlam, xltm and xlsm

Scratch that...that worked. Thanks so much!!
Hey Hashim, how did you get it to work?
Kindly explain, as I'm stuck at the same problem of xla being loaded by not actually present there independently to break the password.

Edit: Never mind, I was using the code on Office 2013 (64-bit) because of which it didn't work. It's working absolutely fine on Office 2007.

Thank you everyone for keeping the thread alive for people to come and visit the old queries & their solutions.

Last edited:
Back