• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

how to make Colour Arrow in Power Bi

Oscarr

Hi all

anyone know how to make colour Arrow like Excel in Power bi?

Attachments

• Icon1.png
    Icon1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Icon2.png
    Icon2.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Icon3.png
    Icon3.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
So you have custom visual already imported into your .pbix file?
If you need specific help on how to use custom visual, you'll need to tell us more info, like link to visual in market place.

Upload simplified model/raw data for faster response.

So you have custom visual already imported into your .pbix file?
If you need specific help on how to use custom visual, you'll need to tell us more info, like link to visual in market place.

Upload simplified model/raw data for faster response.

Hi @Chihiro

i got custom visual, but that one don have what i want, because my data got negative and positive....and i saw people can make it without visual...

Attachments

• Example1.xlsx
    21.6 KB · Views: 5
I believe the method used is image lookup table, using image url. See link for detail.
http://sqljason.com/2015/11/custom-indicators-in-power-bi-using.html

If you are ok with black up down, there are several ways to do this. If not using direct query mode. I'd recommend following approach.

1. Add index column.
2. Add custom column with following formula.
Code:
= try [people] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[people] otherwise null
3. do same for other columns.
4. Remove index column.
5. Add measure [Pdiff]
Code:
Pdiff = SUM(Sheet1[indP])
6. Add indicator measure.
Code:
UpDown = SWITCH(True(),ISBLANK([Pdiff])||[Pdiff]=0,"-",[Pdiff]<0,UNICHAR(9660),[Pdiff]>0,UNICHAR(9650))

upload_2018-4-19_8-45-17.png

I believe the method used is image lookup table, using image url. See link for detail.
http://sqljason.com/2015/11/custom-indicators-in-power-bi-using.html

If you are ok with black up down, there are several ways to do this. If not using direct query mode. I'd recommend following approach.

1. Add index column.
2. Add custom column with following formula.
Code:
= try [people] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[people] otherwise null
3. do same for other columns.
4. Remove index column.
5. Add measure [Pdiff]
Code:
Pdiff = SUM(Sheet1[indP])
6. Add indicator measure.
Code:
UpDown = SWITCH(True(),ISBLANK([Pdiff])||[Pdiff]=0,"-",[Pdiff]<0,UNICHAR(9660),[Pdiff]>0,UNICHAR(9650))

View attachment 51588

Hi @Chihiro

Can you try make that profit? Because profit got negative and positive value....
And your recommend that, can make as colour?

Just use the same logic for any other column. Nothing changes except for column reference in functions (M and in DAX).

Matrix visual, as far as I know, doesn't support color formats for text/string. If numeric, you could use conditional formatting, but you will lose up-down indicator arrow.

Alternative is to use image uploaded to web, and use image url in table column. Then in modeling set "Data Category" to Image URL.
upload_2018-4-19_10-39-8.png

I don't have image url to give you demo. But if you can supply those url. I could build demo for you.

Just use the same logic for any other column. Nothing changes except for column reference in functions (M and in DAX).

Matrix visual, as far as I know, doesn't support color formats for text/string. If numeric, you could use conditional formatting, but you will lose up-down indicator arrow.

Alternative is to use image uploaded to web, and use image url in table column. Then in modeling set "Data Category" to Image URL.
View attachment 51594

I don't have image url to give you demo. But if you can supply those url. I could build demo for you.

@Chihiro

Here is imeage website, you can type red down arrow and green up arrow to search
https://www.iconfinder.com/search/?q=Green+up+arrow

Here you go...

1. In Home ribbon tool, select Enter Data and create image lookup table:
upload_2018-4-19_11-23-41.png

2. Add index column to original table.

3. Add custom column [Profit_i]
Code:
= if (try [Profit] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[Profit] otherwise 0) > 0 then "Up" else if (try [Profit] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[Profit] otherwise 0) < 0 then "Down" else null

4. Remove unnecessary columns.

5. Back in model, go to created table and set Img URL column to data category "Image URL".

6. Make relationship between [Profit_i] and [UpDown].

7. You'll need to use table visual as Matrix visual does not support image URL.

8. Add columns and you are done.

upload_2018-4-19_11-29-42.png

Here you go...

View attachment 51595

Code:
= if (try [Profit] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[Profit] otherwise 0) > 0 then "Up" else if (try [Profit] - #"Added Index"{[Index]-1}[Profit] otherwise 0) < 0 then "Down" else null

5. Back in model, go to created table and set Img URL column to data category "Image URL".

View attachment 51596

@Chihiro

that Arrow is not correct, and some Error there, if i add next day data got same value duplicate, there cant load it out...i think is no put same value formula equal (right Arrow)....

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Error2.jpg
    Error2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 11
Here you go...

View attachment 51595

Code:

View attachment 51596

@Chihiro

is this possible to use Matrix with this color Arrow? i saw at this people are use Matrix with color Arrow...

this is that pbix file

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...99&id=B8DF7839DBA25B99!111&parId=root&o=OneUp

You didn't follow my instruction it looks like. Relationship should be based on UP/Down value only. Not on buy.

Matrix is no go, as this visual does not support image or text color formatting. Where ever you saw the report, ask them how it's made. I suspect they used another workaround. Sample image you had in your file is table visual and not matrix.

One alternative that may work, if you have Power Query & Power Pivot in Excel, is to create basic measures, KPI, and models in Excel. Then use PowerBI to import Excel workbook contents.

However, this partially negates benefit of using PowerBI and I'm not fan. Do a google search and you should find some articles on it.

Last edited:
Hm? My sample matches exactly your sample file. If something went wrong then restart and follow my instruction carefully.

I try so many time your instruction, still same that arrow is not correct, Can you screenshot all your step?

And another problem is, when I add new data in excel refresh power bi, if there a same value with another day, then that data can’t load See error 2 pic...

Example:
1-1-2018 people 188
18-3-2018 people 188

That's not an issue. Your issue, is that you are not using the custom column created, [Profit_i], as related column to [UpDown].
You are using value column [Buy] to create relationship, which should never be done.

Also note that relationship should be Many to 1 or 1 to Many.

As well, tables can have only one active relationship. If using same image lookup table as related table for 3 columns in the table, you'll need to use USERRELATIONSHIP in your DAX to override active relationship when necessary.

But this is more to do with how to build your data model rather than how to use indicator in your visual. I'd suggest, you start by going through the article below.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guided-learning/modeling

Back