• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How long does Excel keep "Enable Content" Notification?

shrivallabha

Excel Ninja
This question arose out of curiosity. Another discussion on StackOverflow led me to this question. Reference to this discussion can be found here:

This applies to users who have not changed their Macro related settings in trust center. If you have default settings and if you are opening a file which is not either from a trusted location or a trusted file then you will see below prompt.
1611216320140.png

My question is, how long does Excel retain this notification onscreen? I could not figure out the trigger myself and my limited searches with google with above title did not get me anything meaningful either. This is pure academic question and is not affecting any of my work. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
I believe it's indefinite unless some actions are taken. I've had workbook open with that banner displayed for hours on end.

For an example, if you enter VBE the message will disappear. However, macro will remain disabled on the workbook. It must first be closed, reopened and macro enabled (unless you change trust settings).

I believe it's indefinite unless some actions are taken. I've had workbook open with that banner displayed for hours on end.

For an example, if you enter VBE the message will disappear. However, macro will remain disabled on the workbook. It must first be closed, reopened and macro enabled (unless you change trust settings).
Thanks for clarification!

I mistook it as "duration" based prompt. However, as you have rightly pointed out it is more connected to user behavior and trigger lies with user's subsequent actions. If user chooses to ignore the warning that "Macros are not enabled" and perform some operations then the message seems to disappear. The reset, of course, is closing the workbook and reopening it.

Back