• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Hour Caclulation

sa.1985

Dear All,

In A1 is 8:30 AM

then B1 is 01:00 AM

after D1 answer is 7:30 hours, this is wrong so please help me

how can i calculate of total hour worked ?

Hi,

Have you checked the date added to each time? Are these times for different dates?

Regards,

Faseeh

No, i have not added date, i have such this data only and i can't get actual work hours

i used formula =a1-b1

then its wrong ?

as per your requirement is there need date ?

Hi Sa.1985

Dear, Apparently the 7.30 min are correct!! They might not be if you are taking 8:30 AM for lets say 20 Feb 2012 and 01:00 AM for 21 Feb 2012. This was what i am trying to explain.

In order to confirm further, am now working on a sheet, It has times as you have mentioned in Cells A1 and B1, but when you look at the formula bar you will find that a date is automatically added to the time!! Try this out and check formula bar.

By the way what should be the correct total hours that you wanted to appear?? What was supposed to be the correct result?

Regards,

Faseeh

Hi, sa.1985!

I opened a new workbook, in first clean sheet typed (unquoted) in A1 "8:30", in B1 "13:00" (I don't use A.M./P.M. format, just 24h), in D1 "=B1-A1" and it displayed "4:30" that it's what you want.

So I think that there is a data or format problem. Can you please write down A1:D1 data as you see it in cell and in the input bar? And their format as well (select each cell and Ctrl-1). Or consider uploading the file.

Regards!

Hi Sa.1985,

As per your case,I assume you are expecting the total working hrs to be 16:30 hrs. 8.30 am to 1.30 am.

with the assumption that he is logged off next day itself I have following solution:

A1=Start Time B1=End Time C1=Total Time D1=MyEndTime E1=MyStartTime

08:30 01:00 <formula> 11:59:59 pm 12:00:01 am

and the formula is =IF(B2<A2,(D2-A2)+(B2-E2),B2-A2)

Remember, this fails if you have time data format changed from am/pm to 24HRS

Regards,

Prasad DN

PS: Need to use with caution, that if he work more than 24 hrs, it may count from 0. example if 08:30 am started and ended next day 9.30 am it will show as only 1 hr.

@sa.1985

Hi!

prasaddn is right, his formula is right. I wrongly read 01:00PM where it was 01:00AM.

Please discard my previous comment.

Regards!

@prasaddn

Hi!

Thanks for the corrections, I didn't pay enough attention to the data.

Regards!

Hi Sa.1985,

Here is another formula I found for your overnight work from the site:

http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2012/02/23/keep-track-of-time-in-excel/

=IF(C2="",0,IF(B2>C2,1,0)+C2-B2)

Pretty good.

Regards,

Prasad DN

Back