• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

HLOOKUP with multiple criteria

Hi ,

In a previous post , you mentioned :
On your previous attachment, example score of 07:41 currently gives -5. As the time hasn't yet reached the threshold for -5 (07:42) the points returned should be -2.
Let us try to understand this :

Since the example time of 07:41 is between the two end-points 07:21 and 07:42 , the result will be between the corresponding scores for these two end-points , which are :

07:21 ..... -2

07:42 ..... -5

Since 07:41 is greater than or equal to 07:21 , we should return -2.

In your latest post , you mention :
Example time 06:59. The threshold is 07:00 for 0 points, and 06:39 for 2 points. The logic here is it should choose 0 as it is lower than 07:00 but higher than 06:39.
If we follow the same logic as above , the example time of 06:59 is between the two end-points 06:39 and 07:00 , the result will be between the corresponding scores for these two end-points , which are :

06:39 ..... 2

07:00 ..... 0

Since 06:59 is greater than or equal to 06:39 , we should return 2.

This is how functions will work , but you want a different kind of logic to be applied , which I am not able to understand.

Can you clarify ?

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

You are right it is a very confusing scale and logic pattern.

I've mapped out some better logic examples in the attached which should help find where the issue is. I think it's a small part of the logic which is the problem where it's taking the level above / below when it should be taking the opposite.

Please take a look at the attached and see if it makes better sense. I've conditionally formatted where the logic falls down.

Thank you Narayan.

Attachments

• Scoring System (6).xlsx
    13.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi ,

This is an totally unexpected turn of events ; below the 0 score the behaviour is opposite to the behaviour above the 0 score.

I'll take some days to look into how this can be done.

Narayan

Thank you Narayan.

Can you see why I need the logic to work the way I suggested in the expected outcomes? Does it make sense?

Many thanks

Hi ,

I can understand what you have explained , though why it should be this way is a different matter. Anyway , if that is your logic , I cannot dispute it.

I'll see how it can be done , though I think that it cannot be done without using helper columns.

Narayan

I sincerely appreciate your help Narayan. I could not achieve this without your assistance.

I am open to bigger, less efficient formula's if it will better help achieve the goal. Would long nested IF statement's to compare each threshold with lookups work?

Back