• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Highlighting Numbers Across Column Until Reference Number is Summed

TwinTipZ

Hello all,

I'm trying to make a inventory applicator highlight rule and am absolutely stumped with my knowledge set.

I have a table that has warehouse inventory in one table.
On another tab, there are active customer orders that are listed in columns, with the Order # and all the order quantity of products below it.

I want to apply this inventory to customer orders, highlighting in yellow the order quantity until the inventory is not sufficient ("Sum of Product row" < "product Inventory")

For example, in a table in a different tab, Product A has a value of 360.

Orders are added and deleted daily (by myself) just to give my team members a daily visual; existing orders can take up to 80 columns at a time.

I've attached the excel sheet I've been trying to solve this on;
Thank you in advanced!

Attachments

• Inventory Application.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 8
See the conditional formatting in the attached.
Note that this needed a defined name rngMKInventory being the table MKInventory to work. The defined name will change automatically to match the range of the table.

Attachments

• Chandoo51924Inventory Application.xlsx
    18.4 KB · Views: 8
Note that this needed a defined name rngMKInventory being the table MKInventory to work. The defined name will change automatically to match the range of the table.

Ah! The rng is what was missing from my knowledge set!
Much appreciated!

When it comes to dragging columns to the left and right, is there a way to set the conditional rules to remain the same? I'm seeing that if I drag the rightmost columns towards the left, the highlighting rules change.
A second rule is made for that specific column.

Is there a way to avoid reapplying my conditional formatting every-time? Or is this the case for me to make a macro for it?

If you copy whole rows down (whole rows from column B to column CW, OR across-the entire sheet rows), the conditional formatting should copy down with it.
But if you copy cells here and there, the conditional formatting an get fragmented. Periodically, go into the CF rules manager for the whole sheet and consolidate the Applies to field to one range, ensuring that that range starts top left with $B$2 (because that's the cell the formula refers to):

You can also delete any similar CFs which have created themselves as a result of copy/pasting

Attachments

• 1679578480799.png
    1679578480799.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 1

Hey p45cal,

I'm trying to recreate what you did before using a different table and I can't figure it out. I've been googling "rng" and I can't seem to figure out how to recreate what you did.

The "MD Visual Scheduler" and "MD Inventory" are near exact copies of your work in "McK Visual Scheduler" and "Mck Inventory", I've only replaced the table name itself.

I'm clearly misunderstanding something here; could you take a look and let me know?

Attachments

• TestFile.xlsx
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
Correct except you didn't have a rngMDInv you referred to in the conditional formatting.

Attachments

• Chandoo51924TestFile.xlsx
    46.4 KB · Views: 6
Correct except you didn't have a rngMDInv you referred to in the conditional formatting.

So I'm clearly not understanding this "rng".
I've been looking over my file and your file for the past few weeks and can't find a difference.

What did you do differently to make the conditional formatting now work?
I'm just trying to understand what black magic you did. Is there a "rng" setting?

This is going to be a long one…
2 things to note:
1. There is nothing special about rng. It's an invention of mine, nothing more than a sequence of letters. I've used it to prefix a longer name, because it reminds me that it's a range.
2. Your lookup table (the table called MKInventory on the Inventory sheet) is a proper Excel table, which is good because any formulae referring to it will look at the whole table extent, and not need to be adjusted when the table has extra rows added to it (or taken away). You don't want to have to go into conditional formatting and cahnge the formula every time you change the size of the lookup table.

So, in the attached, let's first look at Sheet1, where the lookup table is not a table.
First a few explanations:
I've put the lookup table on the same sheet (we can see what's going on).
I've used a smaller (bare bones) version of what you're wanting to achieve.
Next, in columns N:W you'll see several grids the same size as where you want the conditional formatting (CF) to apply (B2:K7). CF works on TRUE/FALSE, where TRUE means apply the formatting and FALSE means don't. These grids show where CF will apply.
The first 3 grids show the development of the CF formula, with the formula in cell N26 being the formulae above consolidated into one, ready to use directly in CF.
On this Sheet1, the lookup table is not proper Excel table, and the actual CF for cells B2:K7 refer to plain cell adresses. You'll see that if you add rows to the lookup table, that those extra rows are not used in any other formulae, neither on the sheet nor in the CF of the sheet.
That's it for Sheet1.

On to Sheet1 (2).
Here the lookup table is a proper Excel table called Table1.
You'll see the formula in cell N10 refers to Table1, so does the formula in N34.
Cell N26 still refers to cell addresses; more on that one later.

Cell N34, referring to Table1, works perfectly on the sheet. However, if you try to use it in CF, the CF dialogue box refuses to accept it. Why? I don't know - it would be so much simpler if it did, but Microsoft says No.
So to get around that, create a named range, called anything you choose, which encompasses the same range as Table1 (more specifically, the databody, not the headers). On that sheet I called that range Anyting (you select the range, and type Anyting into the Name Box which is at the extreme left of the formula bar). I then used that name in the formula in cell N42. Try to use that formula in CF and all works well.
If you take a look at the Name Manager, you'll see that Anyting refers directly to Table1; and because Table1 adjusts its size with added rows automatically, so does Anyting.

From all this, you see that if you refer to a named range in CF, it has to exist in Name manager.

Now for the surprise (for me): back to cell N26.
While exploring I found that even if I used cell addresses to refer to the lookup table, these cell addresses adjusted themselves to the size of the Table1! Not only that, but so did the references in CF! It must be something to do with Excel realising that those cell addresses refer to a proper Excel table. I still wouldn't like to use it, as it might get out of sync; if ever the cell references do not refer to a whole column of a table or a whole table, they cease to self-adjust, so personally, I'd stick with giving the table a Name and using that in CF.

Attachments

• Chandoo51924.xlsx
    19.1 KB · Views: 5
Back