• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Format, move etc upon import

jbcbussoft

Is it possible to import data and have it moved to different sheets within a workbook? A little background. Several years ago a customer wanted a customized report from their accounting software. The software was written in cobol. We have an odbc driver installed that allows the data to flow from the acct software to any program that will work with odbc. We created a database in FileMaker and after much tweaking the had the custom reports they wanted. Zoom forward several years and new employees want Excel. I can export from FileMaker to Excel and give them what they want. They have had missteps as they use the three programs to get this accomplished. If I can cut out the middle step I will. I want to go from the acct software directly into Excel. There are 2 databases. The 1st contains the job numbers and a description the 2nd contains original quote info (labor, materials etc.) and changes to that original quote that are made as the job progresses. What the need is for each project manager to have his/her job info on a separate sheet within the workbook. I would like to import the data and have it flow to the appropriate sheet using the job# as the criteria. We are using Excel 2010.

You could probably automate it fairly well using a macro. You can record yourself doing some of it to get a general feel. It sounds like you can also use and Advanced Filter to copy the data to different sheets. Debra uses Adv. Filter's a lot over at her site:

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

much of which can also be automated.

I checked out her site and her site pointed me to "social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums". I have gotten an answer. I will post the progress. Thanks!

Back