• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

finding closest dat efor a test value

Alex_a

Hi Everyone,
I have two sheets: Sheet 1 with customer names in column A, test name (velocity) in column B, test date (for velocity) in column C, test value (for velocity) in column D. In sheet 2, same customer list is in column A, test name (strength) in column B, test date (for strength) in column C, test value (for velocity) in column D. I need to have a formula ( I guess array formula with index or something), so in Sheet 1 column E gives me the closet date/time in sheet 2 when the test for velocity test was measured. Thanks.

Attachments

• Example list.xlsx
    191 KB · Views: 13
In attached, formula in cell E2 is array-entered, meaning it's committed tio the sheet using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter:
=INDEX(Sheet2!$D$2:$D$5365,MATCH(MIN((IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$2:$D$5365-D2),FALSE))),(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$2:$D$5365-D2),FALSE)),0))

Formula in F2 is also array-entered:
=INDEX(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5365,MATCH(MIN((IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$2:$D$5365-D2),FALSE))),(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$2:$D$5365-D2),FALSE)),0))

There is an additional column G which gives the relevant row number on the other sheet. This column is not needed:
Array-entered in cell G2:
=MATCH(MIN((IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$1:$D$5365-D2),FALSE))),(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5365=A2,ABS(Sheet2!$D$1:$D$5365-D2),FALSE)),0)

Also added column H, a clickable link to the relevant row in the other sheet, obviously can also be removed.
In cell H2, normally entered:
=HYPERLINK("#Sheet2!D" & G2,"link")

Copy down these formulae as far as you need.
Check they're right.
They take into account Customer List, but not TEST_NAME as you wouldn't get any results at all.
The formulae are quite resource-hungry, so don't try to include whole columns in any of these formulae, they'll take forever to re-calculate.

Attachments

• Chandoo41458Example list.xlsx
    456.4 KB · Views: 13
Back