• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Filter a table with a list of parts of strings

psevet

Hello all,

As a new member, I have a tough excel question : in the Excel file ht tps://1drv.ms/x/s!Aqb3mLRtC0iI0SpjqzHclsSHxrh_?e=LvensJ, I want to use a FILTER function (not VBA ...) that would extract all the datas from the table where column Name contains part of names in J3:JXXX. For instance, for the string "ello", I want to get an extract of all lines where Name contains "ello", wich would give the following results :

idfirst_nameNameemailgenderip_address
10​
AndersonTolumelloa t o l u m ello 9 @ g o o g l e . f rMale2 4 5 . 1 6 6 . 2 3 . 1 1 6
44​
ByrleTomaellob t o m a ello 1 7 @ w h i t e h o u s e . g o vMale3 2 . 1 3 9 . 4 6 . 4 3
62​
BereniceFlellob f l ello 1 p @ o x . a c . u kFemale1 0 7 . 2 5 4 . 1 9 9 . 1 7 5

Of course, I would like to do the same for all strings in J3:JXXX (last cell depending from the number of strings)

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Pierre

=FILTER(A2:E1000,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I3,B2:B1000)))

BUT if there is more than 1 entry that will fill the rest of the rows
and so not something to copy down for the next value in I

Attachments

• Filter function(Feuil1)-ETAF.xlsx
    62.8 KB · Views: 3
=FILTER(A2:E1000,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(I3,B2:B1000)))

BUT if there is more than 1 entry that will fill the rest of the rows
and so not something to copy down for the next value in I
Hello Etaf,

Thank you for your efforts in trying to find a solution to this issue :)

It seems that this formula doesn’t quite produce the expected result.

Although I didn’t get much help from ChatGPT on this one, I’m sure we’ll find a solution together.

Best regards,

Pierre

It seems that this formula doesn’t quite produce the expected result.
you will need to explain why not - what are your expected results , I dont know i'm afraid and the formula seems to work , based on First name
can you provide a sample spreadsheet and attach here like i have

I dont see a
Name contains part of names in J3:JXXX.

so had to guess on name

Hello Etaf,

Here's what I try to acheive : ht tps://1drv.ms/x/s!Aqb3mLRtC0iI0SpjqzHclsSHxrh_?e=SdqRtf

why not just attach to th epost - a lot of people will not link on unknown links
anyway

=FILTER(A1:D1000,(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(H3,C1:C1000)))+(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(H4,C1:C1000))))
see N15 for comparrison

Attachments

• Filter function(Feuil1)-ETAF2.xlsx
    46.3 KB · Views: 5
Oops did'n pay attention to below button ...

Actually, I would need a formula that would extract all data, no matter the number of partial strings is.

Here's my basic excel file for 2 strings, but it could be 20 or 100.

Attachments

• Filter Pierre.xlsx
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
this may work, not fully tested for more than the 2 examples you have provided - not 100% certain the results
=FILTER(A2:D1000,MMULT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRANSPOSE(H3:H4),C2:C1000)),ROW(H3:H4)^0)>=1,"None")
BUT the range H3:H4 - needs to cover the list you have of 2 or 20 or 100
doesnt work with blnk cells in the list
not sure what version of excel you have , but there is a way to do the same with LAMDA - but i dont know how to do that
OR reference as tables

maybe have a watch of this video

Attachments

• FILTER Function with List of Partial Text Contains Criteria.xlsx
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A power query option

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.Contains([Name], "iel") or Text.Contains([Name], "lew"))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

this may work, not fully tested for more than the 2 examples you have provided - not 100% certain the results
=FILTER(A2:D1000,MMULT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRANSPOSE(H3:H4),C2:C1000)),ROW(H3:H4)^0)>=1,"None")
BUT the range H3:H4 - needs to cover the list you have of 2 or 20 or 100
doesnt work with blnk cells in the list
not sure what version of excel you have , but there is a way to do the same with LAMDA - but i dont know how to do that
OR reference as tables

maybe have a watch of this video
Hello Etaf,

Great job :) I should find a workaround for column H.

By the way, I use office 365 family editionat home and Enterprise at work.

Thanks a lot :)

Pierre

Back