• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Dependant Picklists?

samdacombe

Hi Chandoo,

I have been pulling my hair out over this one and tumbled accross your website.
I was also blown away to find out that you live in NZ too!

I am making a configuration document that I can give to my customers to fill out.
We use the data to create a file that they can load onto one of our four devices.

I have created a dependatnt pick list that has four columns but after spending all this time creating it, I have found out that those pick lists all have to be in a table right next to one another, and I cannot insert the pick list into the appropriate cell where it would be better suited.

Pick list A gives 4 options,
Of those 4 options each item in the pick list has another 4 options and so on for 4 levels.

I would also like for the user to choose form the last pick list multiple times as each time they choose an option, they are required to fill in an adjacent cell...

This sounds very confusing, perhaps I can strip out any company sensitive data and upload an example tomorrow...

Thnks for your time

Thanks Marc,

First of all, I really want to give credit where it is due, unfortunately I have pulled data and advice from SO many different sites, I cannot remember who I got this last example from.
You may recognise the layout of the table and the VBA. Unfortunately I broke the script that cleared the downstream cells when picking a new value from an upstream picklist...

Here is what I have done so far, hopefully the annotations that I have included in the sheet will explain exactly what I am trying to achieve. I feel like I am SO close.
I have also tried using INDIRECT but found that the table seemed to work a little better due to the fact that I only needed to set up 5 named groups.
I also ran into an issue where picklists further down the chain had the same header name but different values (J7, M7). I got around this by lengthening the header name which wasnt ideal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
I look forward to furthering my excel prowess.

Sam

Attachments

• sample cascading picklist.xlsm
    28.4 KB · Views: 4
Back