• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Deleting Punctuation

Imagrump

This problem is of my own doing....twice over! A couple of years ago an English gentleman provided me with a VBA code to import a csv file into Access (He is no longer with us, hence the necessity for the post.). I have been using it successfully until the switchover from July to August. In updating for the new month, I somehow royally screwed the code up! Then I couldn't find a back-up file. When I put it in a safe place, it was so safe I can't find it.
Now, although this is VBA, it is for Access, not Excel, so I need to ascertain if this is a legitimate posting on this forum. If it is not....erase it; if it is, can anyone help?

The CODE USED is the VBA code I am using which produced CODE PUNCT with the punctuation marks. CODE NO PUNCT is what I need (and used to get).

Can anyone see what is wrong with this code?

If you need additional data or explanation, ask.

I thank you ahead of time for your time and consideration.

Attachments

• CODE USED.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CODE PUNCT.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
  • CODE NO PUNCT.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
As you forgot to attach the original text file …​
The code uses the horsename variable to remove the punctuation but the codeline ![HORSE] = varSplit(1) does not use it !​

I'm sorry; I thought CODE USED was the original file. If I am missing an original text file, that could be the source of my problem.

I know nothing of VBA; this was graciously provided to me and I have been using it routinely only changing the dates and corresponding files until August. Then somehow I got off the one line I have always stayed on and screwed it up. I thought I had backed it up, but its not where I can find it.

Is it fixable? Is there any data or info that you would need to fix it? Eliminating the punctuation marks manually is woefully inconvenient and I would love to go back to not having that extra step.

THANKS so much for taking time to look at it. If it can be put back where it had been, I will greatly appreciate it. Let me know if you are willing and what I need to do.

Try ![HORSE] = horsename rather than ![HORSE] = varSplit(1) …​
If this mod fails then you will have more chances on an Access forum rather than on an Excel forum !​

HOORAY !!! YOU nailed it !

There is no way that I can express how appeciative I am of this. It has bugged me for 3 weeks now, and although I can work around it, it is a helluva bother and time consuming inconvenience.

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU

How do I mark this as SOLVED?

Since I was so fortunate on this, I am going to be totally obnoxious (no other word fits this type of gall) and ask:
What are the chances that a bit of code could be added to this to convert these names to CAPS? I do it manually and it would be fabulous if it could be included.....but simply and easily.

Some people are just never satisfied, are they?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have already done. Ignore this if you wish.

THANKS !!! It works like a charm! It really serves no worthwhile purpose, but I have been doing the CAPS since the start and I am addicted to reading the names that way. They just do not look right otherwise.

THANKS a million , again.

Back