• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Delete Row If....

Hi,

I am trying to clean up data lines that are not necessary for my tables. Ideally, if I could delete rows where columns B through G are all zeroes, that would be great. When I export my data it automatically includes these rows so a button would be perfect to be able to clean these with a snap.

I attached a small data set as an example but usually my data contains anywhere from 30,000-50,000 lines. It changes almost everyday. I am not sure if we should make this dynamic or if just realizing the columns B-G works. I do not want my column headers to be deleted in the process.

Please help! Thanks!

Attachments

• Chandoo 10.4.19.xlsm
    816.9 KB · Views: 12
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub DelZero()
    Dim i As Long, lr As Long
    lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For i = lr To 2 Step -1
        If WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("B" & i & ":G" & i)) = 0 Then
            Range("B" & i).EntireRow.Delete
        End If
    Next i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    MsgBox "Action Complete"
End Sub

Hi !​
The easy Excel way is to just filter the range - as there is no table in your attachment ! - then delete the filtered rows …​
But the more non contiguous rows, the slower to delete … (The same when deleting row by row within a ForNext loop.)
So for many rows just follow a child way : in a helper column a formula returns TRUE for rows to delete and FALSE for those to keep​
then apply a sort on that column in order all the TRUE rows are at the end of the range then it's easy to clear them at once !​
Clear the helper column, that's all folks ! Faster even manually than creating any code, in particular for a punctual need …​
When a code is really necessary the easy procedure is to reproduce this way.​
So according to the attachment a beginner starter demonstration :​
Code:
Sub Demo1()
   Const C = 8
     Dim V
     Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With [A1].CurrentRegion.Resize(, C).Columns
    .Item(C).Value2 = Evaluate(.Item(7).Address & "=0")
    .Sort .Cells(C), xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
     V = Application.Match(True, .Item(C), 0)
     If IsNumeric(V) Then .Rows(V & ":" & .Rows.Count).Clear
    .Item(C).Clear
End With
     Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Do you like it ? So thanks to click on bottom right Like !​

Hi! I tried the first code on my actual data set with several lines and it basically froze up my Excel.

The second one seems quicker but I do have data that stretches out to other columns that needs to be maintained for the rows that are False to the b through G all zeroes test.

If the only way will freeze up my Excel, that is fine. I was just hoping for a quick cleaner to make my data more compact and presentable. I could not include my whole file because it was too big. Sorry, I am kind of stuck just describing it.

There are a handful of lookups that are to the right of the data that I sent in. I could only send you a shortened version of the file because Chandoo was saying my original was too big. I will take a look at your article.

This macro runs on the active sheet:
Code:
Sub blah()
Set myrng = Cells(1).CurrentRegion.Resize(, 7)
Range("K2").FormulaR1C1 = "=AND(RC[-9]=0,RC[-8]=0,RC[-7]=0,RC[-6]=0,RC[-5]=0,RC[-4]=0)"
myrng.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:=Range("K1:K2"), Unique:=False
Set ddd = Intersect(myrng, myrng.Offset(1)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
ddd.Delete shift:=xlShiftUp
Range("K2").Clear
End Sub

The second one seems quicker but I do have data that stretches out to other columns
that needs to be maintained for the rows that are False to the b through G all zeroes test.
As it's one of the two fastest ways I know and as a beginner starter you can amend the formula if necessary …​

Back