• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data Validation list and custom formula?

I am using a custom formula for data validation. I want to check if a neighboring column has the value "N" and if so, the word 'None' would populate in the cell, otherwise, the formula references a Named Range with a list of values I created call "Export_Classification."

I tried this with and without the INDIRECT( ). If the IF function evaluates to FALSE, I was hoping that a drop down list would appear showing the choices in my named range.

It looks like Excel doesn't allow custom formulas with list. It seems like it's one or the other.

Is there a way around this?

Here is my formula:

Code:
IF(L14="N","None",INDIRECT(Export_Classification))

Here is my data validation:

Attachments

• Data Validation.png
    Data Validation.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
A DV formula will not auto-populate a cell, so your "None" part won't work anyway. What you could do is have two lists - one contains None and the other contains your other values - then use a formula in the List section to determine which is applicable.

A DV formula will not auto-populate a cell, so your "None" part won't work anyway. What you could do is have two lists - one contains None and the other contains your other values - then use a formula in the List section to determine which is applicable.

It worked. Great suggestion. Thank you.

Back