• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data transformation question

JamX

Dear all,

I'm not as good in power query, hence my question to you all.

I have this excel data set:
All "Names" are unique
"Function" and "Shift" are non unique text fields
NameFunctionShift
AA551
BA552
CA553
DA554
EA555
FB551
GB552
HC553
IC554
JC555
KC551
LC552
MC553
NC554
OC555

I want/need:
Based on "Function" and "Shift" a table with corresponding "Name"
Shift
Function551552553554554
AABCDE
BFF
CHIJ
CKLMNO

Appreciate any help in this matter.

I already have this:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table6"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Function", type text}, {"Shift", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Function", "Shift"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [Name=nullable text, Function=nullable text, Shift=nullable number]}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Grouped Rows", {{"Shift", type text}}, "nl-NL"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Grouped Rows", {{"Shift", type text}}, "nl-NL")[Shift]), "Shift", "Count")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

which gives me this result

but when I expand all 55x column tables I get:

I already found that 'easy' function
Yes, I too find that going the easy way often ends up being the most robust.

Anyway, try this:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table4"]}[Content],
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Shift", type text}}),
    ShiftHdrs = List.Distinct(ChangedType[Shift]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(ChangedType, "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Index", {{"Shift", type text}}, "en-GB"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Index", {{"Shift", type text}}, "en-GB")[Shift]), "Shift", "Name"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Pivoted Column", {"Function"}, {{"grp", each _, type table [Function=text, Index=number, 551=nullable text, 552=nullable text, 553=nullable text, 554=nullable text, 555=nullable text]}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "fnBunchUp", each fnBunchUp([grp])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Invoked Custom Function",{"grp"}),
    #"Expanded fnBunchUp" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "fnBunchUp", ShiftHdrs)
in
    #"Expanded fnBunchUp"
which needs its attendant function named fnBunchUp:
Code:
(tbl)=>
let
    Source = tbl,
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Function", "Index"}),
    ToCols = Table.ToColumns(#"Removed Columns"),
    NewTable = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(ToCols, each List.RemoveNulls(_)), Table.ColumnNames(#"Removed Columns"))
in
    NewTable
I get from this:

this:

Yes, I too find that going the easy way often ends up being the most robust.

Anyway, try this:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table4"]}[Content],
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Shift", type text}}),
    ShiftHdrs = List.Distinct(ChangedType[Shift]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(ChangedType, "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Index", {{"Shift", type text}}, "en-GB"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Index", {{"Shift", type text}}, "en-GB")[Shift]), "Shift", "Name"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Pivoted Column", {"Function"}, {{"grp", each _, type table [Function=text, Index=number, 551=nullable text, 552=nullable text, 553=nullable text, 554=nullable text, 555=nullable text]}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "fnBunchUp", each fnBunchUp([grp])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Invoked Custom Function",{"grp"}),
    #"Expanded fnBunchUp" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "fnBunchUp", ShiftHdrs)
in
    #"Expanded fnBunchUp"
which needs its attendant function named fnBunchUp:
Code:
(tbl)=>
let
    Source = tbl,
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Function", "Index"}),
    ToCols = Table.ToColumns(#"Removed Columns"),
    NewTable = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(ToCols, each List.RemoveNulls(_)), Table.ColumnNames(#"Removed Columns"))
in
    NewTable
I get from this:
View attachment 80359

this:
View attachment 80360
That almost worked, thanks.

the original database is a bit bigger and the outcome is also a bit different then my original question. I thought I could code it by myself but it's more complicated then I thought.
I have attached the file so you can see what I mean.

I would appreciate it if you could make code something for me which resembles the example how to be sheet

Attachments

• DB test.xlsx
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
and the outcome is also a bit different
A bit?!
Completely different.
It's hard work and the output layout is horrible.
Anyway, in the attached I've shown the beginnings of a different way. It's a slight cheat.
The Pivot table at cell O2 actually has a hidden column (P) called RowNo. Its value is created in the Power Query query and is an index added to the data based on the grouping that will finally be used in the pivot table (there's no reason you can't add other RowNo type columns based on other groupings).
The grouping I've used is Groep and Ploeg (you could add columns say for Groep,Functie & Ploeg (this will allow you to add a Functie column in the pivot), or for only Functie & Ploeg, and use them in place of my RowNo for those groupings).
The pivot uses CONCATENATEX but the RowNo ensures that only a single name appears in each cell.
You've got some work to do adding columns to the input database like you have with Groep to match the example groupings. Then you'll be able to add subtotals within the pivot.

Attachments

• Chandoo48545DB test.xlsx
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
A bit?!
Completely different.
It's hard work and the output layout is horrible.
Anyway, in the attached I've shown the beginnings of a different way. It's a slight cheat.
The Pivot table at cell O2 actually has a hidden column (P) called RowNo. Its value is created in the Power Query query and is an index added to the data based on the grouping that will finally be used in the pivot table (there's no reason you can't add other RowNo type columns based on other groupings).
The grouping I've used is Groep and Ploeg (you could add columns say for Groep,Functie & Ploeg (this will allow you to add a Functie column in the pivot), or for only Functie & Ploeg, and use them in place of my RowNo for those groupings).
The pivot uses CONCATENATEX but the RowNo ensures that only a single name appears in each cell.
You've got some work to do adding columns to the input database like you have with Groep to match the example groupings. Then you'll be able to add subtotals within the pivot.
thx for this sollution.
I'll try to make the best of it :);)

great trick btw.

Back