• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

column to add up times

ALB

I have created a formula, =E12+E13+E14,to add several stopwatch timings. I have chosen "time" from the "number" category of "format cells" and my cells are reading 00:00 seemingly in the desired format, my formula correctly reads in the results cell, but when I enter a number back in E12 or E13 or E14, the 00:00's are not replaced.

I've tested that my formula is functional by altering the format from "minutes" and all works fine.

Why can't I get the cells to work in "minutes"?

thanks for any help!

ALB

Hi ALB,

I would advice you to check what is in the cells you are summing up. Place ur cursor on the cell E12 and see in formula bar that whether the cell contains only time or some date added to it as well. I think when you enter data in cell it alters the date part of the cell and not the time this is why you can not see any change in 00:00 .. You might have to enter the time by getting your cursor to the right place so that not date but time is changed....

If u find it difficult consider uploading a sample file it makes things easy.

Regards,

Faseeh

You will need a another cell so that you see minute formats. If you want E12 to show minutes put in this formula in E =D12/(24*60). You would then enter in your number in D12 and set custom format to mm:ss.

thanks, yes the cell is including the whole date. Now when I click on a cell it's showing the whole string of date and time, when I manipulate the minute portion of this and 'enter' I now get a row of hash tags!!!?

is there a way to custom formulate w/o having to redo the whole existing form to incl. another row to hide the date in?

Hi, ALB!

I can't fully understand your requirements but I here there are my two cents:

Tried to use the MINUTE function? =MINUTE(A1) and doesn't matter what format has A1, if it's a valid date/time value, it will return the minute portion.

If yet did, please consider uploading the file so as to check it. Refer to the 2nd green sticky post at this forums main page if necessary.

Regards!

The basic time format that you are seeing, displayed as "00:00" is actually hh:mm (hours and minutes). If you're wanting to use minutes and seconds, you'll need to format the cells with custom format of mm:ss

AND

when you input the time, you'll need to give a leading 0 like this:

0:12:43

to indicate 12 minutes, 43 seconds so that XL knows that you don't want to include an hr.

So, the two possible parts of your problem is a) how the data is being displayed, and b) how the data is being input.

Back