• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Circular Reference

marine90

What I have been trying to do is a circular reference. For example I would like to take a number in cell A1 and subtract it with A2 and put the result in A2. A few things. 1 is I would like to be able to enter a number in A2 without writing over the formula. 2 is I would like to change the color of the cell red or green. If the cell is 0 or higher green. If the cell is negative red. With the formula in cell A2 I have =A1-A2.

So in A1 my value mat have 5 and then I would enter a 5 in cell A2 which would then put my value of A2 at 0. I am not sure if it is even possible. Thanks for your help in advance.

No, excel formulas do no work like that, unlike Lotus 123. But, with that setup, why not simply use 3 cells? One for the starting amount, one for user entry, and one for result?

To get the colors, go to Format - Conditional formatting. Setup the rules like you stated and pick the colors you'd like.

Back