• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Change data table to horizontal format

stormania

Dear Excell Master

Kindly help for my excell as attach, how formula in excell to change source data table in horizontal (sheet DATA) to change format report in vertical ways (sheet REPORT) cause currently i do manually copy one by one.
Thank you

Attachments

• Data Horizon to Vertical.xlsx
    18.7 KB · Views: 9
Try PowerQuery.

M Code (Source):

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Code", type text}, {"Destination", type text}, {"Japan", type any}, {"USA", type any}, {"Swiss", type any}, {"Singapore", type any}}),
#"Removed Bottom Rows" = Table.RemoveLastN(#"Changed Type",1),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Bottom Rows", each ([Japan] <> "Qty")),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filtered Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Column1", type text}, {"No Doc", type text}, {"IND/07/01/1", Int64.Type}, {"IND/07/01/2", Int64.Type}, {"IND/07/01/3", Int64.Type}, {"IND/07/01/4", Int64.Type}}),
#"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"Column1", "No Doc"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Attribute"}, Lookup, {"Value"}, "Lookup", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded Lookup" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Lookup", {"Attribute"}, {"Attribute.1"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Lookup",{{"Value", "Qty"}, {"No Doc", "Description"}, {"Attribute", "No Doc"}, {"Column1", "Code"}, {"Attribute.1", "Destination"}}),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each ([Destination] = "Japan" or [Destination] = "USA")),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"Destination", Order.Ascending}, {"Description", Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Sorted Rows"

M Code (Lookup):

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Code", type text}, {"Destination", type text}, {"Japan", type any}, {"USA", type any}, {"Swiss", type any}, {"Singapore", type any}}),
#"Removed Bottom Rows" = Table.RemoveLastN(#"Changed Type",1),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Bottom Rows", each ([Japan] <> "Qty")),
#"Kept First Rows" = Table.FirstN(#"Filtered Rows",1),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Kept First Rows",{"Code", "Destination"}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
#"Unpivoted Columns"

Attachments

• PQ Data Horizon to Vertical AliGW.xlsx
    24.8 KB · Views: 2
thank you for suggestion, but i am sorry cause i am a newbie in excell so i am not familiar with power query.
Maybe any common formula in excell ?
Thank you

Here is 2 formula solutions for your reference

1. Single formula solution for Excel 2019 and up

In A5 array ("Ctrl+Shift+Enter") formula copied across and down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,TRANSPOSE(DATA!$A$7:$A$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$B$7:$B$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$5:$F$5)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$7:$F$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$4:$F$4))&"</b></a>","//b["&(ROW($A1)*5+COLUMN(A$1))-5&"]"),"")

2. Separated formula solution for Excel 2010 and up

[A5] =IF(ROW($A1)<=COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21)*COUNTA(DATA!$C$4:$F$4),INDEX(DATA!A$7:A$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1),"")

[B5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!B$7:B$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[C5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$5:$F$5,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[D5] =IF(A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$7:$F$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[E5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$4:$F$4,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

All copied down

Attachments

• Data Horizon to Vertical(BY).xlsx
    29.4 KB · Views: 6
Here is 2 formula solutions for your reference

1. Single formula solution for Excel 2019 and up

In A5 array ("Ctrl+Shift+Enter") formula copied across and down :

=IFERROR(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&TEXTJOIN("</b><b>",,TRANSPOSE(DATA!$A$7:$A$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$B$7:$B$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$5:$F$5)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$7:$F$21)&"</b><b>"&TRANSPOSE(DATA!$C$4:$F$4))&"</b></a>","//b["&(ROW($A1)*5+COLUMN(A$1))-5&"]"),"")

2. Separated formula solution for Excel 2010 and up

[A5] =IF(ROW($A1)<=COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21)*COUNTA(DATA!$C$4:$F$4),INDEX(DATA!A$7:A$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1),"")

[B5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!B$7:B$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[C5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$5:$F$5,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[D5] =IF(A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$7:$F$21,MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

[E5] =IF($A5="","",INDEX(DATA!$C$4:$F$4,INT((ROW($A1)-1)/COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1))

All copied down

View attachment 79754
Dear BY

Thanks for formula, could you explain thoese formula especially why use IF A5 ? and MOD ?, thank you

Dear BY

Thanks for formula, could you explain thoese formula especially why use IF A5 ? and MOD ?, thank you
In [A5], this part of formula >>

=MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1

become >>

=1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;1;2;3;4;5;6…..........

Return a serial number from 1 to 15 and repeating the serial number.

And

On the "Formulas" tab, in the "Formula Auditing" group, click "Evaluate Formula". Click Evaluate to examine the formula result step by step at a time.

Regards

Last edited:
In [A5], this part of formula >>

=MOD(ROW($A1)-1,COUNTA(DATA!$B$7:$B$21))+1

become >>

=1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;1;2;3;4;5;6…..........

Return a serial number from 1 to 15 and repeating the serial number.

And

On the "Formulas" tab, in the "Formula Auditing" group, click "Evaluate Formula". Click Evaluate to examine the formula result step by step as a time.

Regards

thanks alot for clear explanation, thank you :)

There is the option of ditching legacy spreadsheet technology and going for
Code:
= LET(
      cd,      TOCOL(IF(qty,code)),
      descr,   TOCOL(IF(qty,description)),
      dest,    TOCOL(IF(qty,destination)),
      nd,      TOCOL(IF(qty,noDoc)),
      q,       TOCOL(qty),
      crit,    (dest="Japan")+(dest="USA"),
      SORT(FILTER(records, criteria))
  )
This formula also filters out records with zero quantity, which may or not be what is needed.

But the OP has Excel 2013, so the LET and FILTER functions are not available to them.

Hi Ali, I accept your point. On the other hand, using Office 2013 is not a personal disability that needs to be treated with sensitivity. I used 2010 up to 2019 simply because I did not consider the changes from that date worth paying for. Then everything changed with dynamic arrays, to the extent that I now commit some of my pension to maintain a license.

I consider it worthwhile demonstrating to the OP and other readers what would be possible with and up to date Excel version, even if their decision is to stick with familiar legacy code.

Agreed, Peter, but I think you could have made the point of your post clearer and mentioned the version of Excel you are using. :)

Back